Applications folder subfolders for categories

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roland.g, Jul 22, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I can't remember this or not. I know that when you install Office or Photoshop or something like that it doesn't just put the App in the Applications folder but puts it in it's own folder with other stuff. And the Utilities folder is a folder in the Applications folder as well.

What I wasn't sure of is as long as you keep everything in the Applications folder if you can categorize them in subfolders within that and re-arrange. Say a Music and Video folder, a Games folder, a 3rd Party Utilities folder, even an iLife folder, etc., or if once they have been installed and used and such, if they have to remain in the root Applications folder as is to function correctly.

Thanks for the input.

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

For the most part, you can move applications anywhere you want in OSX and they'll still work, but it can cause problems when you run updates.

The easiest solution is to create a second Applications folder somewhere and fill it with aliases to the apps in the original, that way you can organize the aliases however you want.

I created one in my home folder, you may already have one there if you've installed any apps for just that user. OSX will even put the special Apps folder icon on it for you.

Drag it to your Dock and you've got quick access to all your apps organized however you like.