Applications folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by themoffster, Sep 22, 2011.

1. themoffster macrumors regular

Can someone tell me the difference between the 'Applications' favourite and the applications folder in /Users/<user>/Applications/?

When i install an app, sometimes it goes in the former and sometimes it goes in the latter.
    When the latter happens i just drag it to the 'Applications' folder.

What is the difference in them? All my apps run fine regardless of where they are installed.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Most applications will automatically install in the /Applications folder. The ~/Applications folder isn't even on the system by default, it was created by some application you installed as some point. I would keep everything in the /Applications folder as you said, and even delete the one in your user folder, which should eliminate the problem unless another poorly written installer creates it again.

jW

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The ~/Applications folder is for applications installed so that only you can use them. Unless you are using a system which has multiple user accounts it makes no difference which location applications are installed.

4. themoffster thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok.
    I've got multiple users (me and the wife).

I did think that'd be it.
    I might just keep my games in that folder then to keep the /Applications folder tidy as i don't think the wife would be interested in Counterstrike or Civ 5!

thanks