Applications freeze/crash on "save as" when network drive unavailable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FullmetalZ26, Jun 5, 2007.

1. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to keep OS X from causing applications to freeze when they're trying to search for network shares that aren't there? I can understand that this really isn't Apple's fault, but it's definitely frustrating to not be able to save anything in an application simply because that app last saved to a network drive. In any case, this problem crops up in the following manner:

- Computer (in this case, a Macbook) is used to access an NFS share on home network. A document is saved to said share from within Firefox.
    - The next day, I'm using the computer at school (where the NFS share is not available.) I go to save another document, but Firefox dutifully tries to pull up the last location saved to. Of course this is impossible, so the program freezes and sits there until I force quit it. Closing and re-opening the app doesn't fix it, rebooting doesn't help either.

Any help with getting around this annoyance would be greatly appreciated. The same sort of problem seems to come up with SMB shares as well.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Next time it happens and Firefox freezes, try disconnecting your network (disable AirPort or ethernet or whatever in System Preferences) and see if that unfreezes Firefox...

3. FullmetalZ26 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried disconnecting network before clicking/freezing, and after freezing, with the same result. :(