Applications from G4 to intel?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr 005, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Mr 005, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

Mr 005 macrumors newbie

Hi im new to here so sorry if i posted in the wrong place.

Anyways i currently have a mac mini G4 running 10.4.11 with a good amount of programs on it. the ones i am mainly worried about are the adobe ones. i have photoshop cs3 extended, flash cs3 etc. Im planning on buying either a new mac mini with lion or a new imac with lion. now for the questions.

if i used carbon copy cloner to clone my hard drive to an external, could i run the whole OS from my new mac?

is there some way that i could move/copy the programs to the new mac in lion?

if i ran it on the new mac, would the speed of the programs increase?

either way would be fine but it would be better to be able to run photoshop in lion rather than tiger. no i do not have the install discs anymore they are long gone. hopefully you guys understand.

Thanks in advance,
    Mr 005

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. speacock macrumors member

No, the OS that is installed for an Intel Mac is different to the one installed on a PPC based Mac and a new Mac wouldn't run Tiger even if you did a fresh install.

You could copy the programs. CS3 is a universal binary so it may work, it depends whether it does any kind of checks to see if it has been copied, Adobe may do this as a way to protect their copyright, but I doubt it. Any PPC programs you have won't work in Lion as the Rosetta emulation layer has been removed, you'd have to go back to Snow Leopard (but then that won't run on the very latest generation of Macs as i understand it).

PPC programmes emulated would almost certainly be slower not faster. Universal binaries suffer a tiny performance hit at load time but are usually fine once loaded.

If you have your Adobe serial number then you should be able to buy a replacement copy of the media from Adobe for a nominal sum, alternatively, you could upgrade to CS5.