Applications Hung up and Force Quit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Sep 12, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I had a webinar open last night. I wanted to use my Plantronics bluetooth headset so I could walk around and still hear. I had a hard time figuring out how to add the device and then get it to work. I figured it would be as easy because iPhone is so easy, but I had to dig and go online to get help. I finally got it to work and I was trying to see how to simply stop using the headset and go back to the speakers. I think this is where things started crashing. I really don't even know where things went wrong, but all the sudden, I had no sound on either the bluetooth or the laptop. If I reboot, then I lose my spot in the webinar and I could still see some on screen stuff (the leader is writing on his computer). So I called my Mom and listened through her home phone to her computer. Anyway, when I was done and ready to reboot, every application was giving me trouble to close. Even trying to force quit wasn't working. Eventually, I got annoyed and just held down the power button.

What is the equivelant to Ctrl+Alt & Delete from Windows to a Mac? Even when the application looks like it will close, and you choose force quit, it doesn't really do what it should. Or perhaps it just takes a long tim? Or is there something else I need to do? Honestly, I rarely have issues with my Macbook like this, so I am not too familiar with getting through these kinds of application crashes.

Thanks

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Command + option + Esc
    This brings up the force quit menu.

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok, thanks. It just took forever and applications that I thought I force quit, were still running or weren't responding at all. It was just frustrating and I thought perhaps there was something else going on.

4. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Often than not I find Mail program always hangs and I have to force quit before system would complete shut down.