Applications keep opening upon startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nle96, Mar 3, 2014.

1. nle96 macrumors newbie

Even though I have the box saying "Reopen windows when logging back in" unchecked (it shows up prior to shutdown), nothing checked under my login items under "users and groups", and the "close windows when quitting applications" box checked in "general settings", word, excel, powerpoint, safari, etc (any application that I did not manually quit out prior to shut down) still open up automatically upon startup. How do I stop this? By the way, I am running Mac OSX version 10.9.1.

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

That's an odd one... You're not doing a hard shutdown (holding the power button until the screen turns off or waiting until the battery dies) right?

10.9.2 is out now I would try updating to that and see if it fixes your problem?

3. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Right-click (two finger click, whatever) the icon for the app on your dock, go to options and uncheck the option to open at login (if checked).

4. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

What I usually do when this happens is before shutting down check my dashboard and if there's a little line underneath the icon, it means it's still open so I right click (I have right click enabled on my MacBook because it makes things easier for me) and click quit and that usually resolves the issue for me.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Having "Reopen windows when logging back in" unchecked like the OP stops this from happening whether they're open or not when you shutdown.

6. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Even when I was on my dad's iMac and I had it unchecked, it still opened up my previous applications and the only way for me to ensure that it wouldn't happen was to do what I did.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It sounds like you have the same problem as the OP then.

8. nle96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... It's weird

None of my apps have the "open at login" option selected either and it does this. I'd have to manually quit them... This never happened on Lion. It just happened when I updated to Mavericks and now I'm finally vocalizing my problem.

----------

Thanks, I'll try and see if the update does anything to fix my problem.

9. Ravenis macrumors member

go to system preferences > Users and groups > login items

anything listed?

10. nle96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've checked to see if any of the apps on my dock have that checked and none of them do.

----------

I've unchecked everything under "login items". I've tried everything pretty much.

----------

And I don't think my MacBook Pro is the problem either since it has never given me any sort of problems and it ran fine on Lion with no such issue as the one I'm currently experiencing. I mean everything else regarding my mac is fine. Speed is fine. Time it takes to shut down, restart, boot up, etc. is all fine and efficient.

11. Ravenis macrumors member

remove it from there completely and restart, do they still launch

12. nle96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it actually happens sporadically, and regarding the "login items" none of my applications were on that list to begin with, at least none of the applications that start up automatically upon booting up (Microsoft word, powerpoint, excel, and safari and chrome sometimes).

13. Ravenis macrumors member

try 10.9.2 update

otherwise maybe Try a safe boot

do they open up there

try a normal boot right after

do they open up again

if you have any other user accounts do they happen there as well

14. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I don't have it anymore, this was when I was using my dad's iMac. I have a rMBP and haven't had a problem because I still close them just in case. It's a force of habit, I guess.

15. TonyYYZ macrumors member

yeah, the checkbox is just to "hide" it. Not sure what that means exactly but you need to remove it from the list completely for it to not appear at startup.

16. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Applications keep opening upon startup

It makes the app startup like you used cmd + H on it.

17. nle96 thread starter macrumors newbie

None of the applications that startup are even on that list in the first place so...

18. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

So, what IS on that Login Items list? Are there any documents or folders on the list (which don't need to be there)?

19. nle96 thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes Helper, Adobe Resource Synchronizer, HP Product Research, and Google Drive

20. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

So - try this… Quit all apps from the Dock, close all finder windows.
    From the Apple menu, choose Force Quit. Force Quit everything that's in that folder, other than Finder.
    Restart your Mac.
    Which apps, if any, launch automatically this time?