"Applications" menu command - "item cannot be found" - owner/permissions? (10.6.8)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacOSExustio, Jul 19, 2013.

1. MacOSExustio macrumors newbie

I'm getting a "item can't be found" error when I use the "Applications" Go menu command. I have a suspicion the problem has to do with the user/group/permissions of the /Applications folder.

I had to reinstall OS 10.*5*.8 because I didn't have Snow Leopard CD at the time, and managed to get the strange screwed-up-"custom-access" problem that was fixed in 10.6.8 (I hope - that's what I read on a couple of sites.)

Disk Utility Repair doesn't seem to repair things in the User directories, so I used Terminal to reset the owner/group for everything that was data to "jswitte:admin" which got rid of the "custom access" problem.

But I also reset the user/group for "/Applications" which I'm guessing caused the "item can't be found". I just set the user/group back to "root:admin" just now, but that didn't fix the problem.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Did you use the Finder's Get Info, or the Terminal?
    Did you change the ownership recursively?

Show the output of the following Terminal command:
    cd / ; ls -lae ; echo "done"

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

monkeying around with permissions in system folders is always a good way to cause a mess. Often you need a complete reinstall to clean it up.