Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I don't get it. When I installed Firefox on my 2.4 Ghz Aluminum iMac, it mounted what looked like a harddrive with the Firefox logo on it (in pic). Whenever I try to eject it and relaunch, I first have to click on the Firefox logo in the window (in pic), which mounts the "harddrive". I don't get it; the same thing happens when I launch Azureus, or iSquint, or any other application from the internet. I don't get it; why is that harddrive logo there? Plus, when I try to get rid of the .dmg files when the program is in use, it won't let me. What's going on?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    688.6 KB · Views: 55

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Those are the mounted DMG files. Simply follow the instructions, like in your picture, and take the Firefox Icon in that window and drag it to your Applications Folder. Then you can unmount the "disk". They do this to get around having to use Apple's Install program and it tells you that to delete the Application, simply drag it to the trash.

TEG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Those are the mounted DMG files. Simply follow the instructions, like in your picture, and take the Firefox Icon in that window and drag it to your Applications Folder. Then you can unmount the "disk". They do this to get around having to use Apple's Install program and it tells you that to delete the Application, simply drag it to the trash.

TEG

Thanks. I just moved the applications themselves into the Applications folder and moved that icon to the dock. Now everything's good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.