Applications not appearing when I click them on the dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hyperfast, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Hyperfast macrumors member

Hey all,

This isn't a bug or anything. It's just really annoying.
    Sometimes when I click an App or anything on the dock, it doesn't show on the screen I'm on or it doesn't open up. For instance, a firefox Window.. I have one open and then I minimize it. Now I want to open it back up so I click on the firefox icon again and nothing happens. I know it's minimized in the dock but I'd rather it just re maximize when I click the icon. Also sometimes I click it and nothing comes up at all. I have to go to file, open new window. Same with finder. So is there any solution to this?

Basically I'm trying to find a way to click an icon, and have it actually appear whenever I click it.

Edit: Oh yeah there's Adium too. When I click the Adium icon, I wish the contact list would show. It's always hidden somewhere and I have to go to view contact list...

Thanks

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you click on an app icon in the dock and the app is already open and minimized that's what you will get.A minimized app.

Click on the minimized icon and it will open up.

3. Hyperfast thread starter macrumors member

Well I'd rather it just open a new window when I click something.

4. skwij macrumors 6502

That's odd. My minimised apps always re-maximise when I click the dock icon. They also reappear from "hidden" when I do this.

Both Tiger and Leopard behave this way. I thought it was standard.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok i tried this with lots of multi window apps like firefox, safari, finder, pages etc. if you have more than two windows open and minimise one of them and then click the dock icon, the minimised windows does not maximise. this is standard behaviour as one of the windows in the app is already open. if you only have one window open in an app and minimise the window and then click its dock icon, the window will maximise as there are no other windows in that app open for your to work on.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Indeed, I get the same results.

I think the basic concept is that if you have more than one window open, you can use Exposé and Spaces to handle your window management.