** Applications not launching ** HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jordanborth, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jordanborth macrumors newbie

Ok, so, after I had downloaded Safari 3 beta, my MSN kept screwing up and randomly quiting. I used the uninstall package that comes along with Safari Beta 3 and rolled back to Safari 2. I re-booted and went to open up iTunes. The app. bounced once in the dock... that was it. The program didn't open, nothing happened. I tried opening MSN and Safari 2 and the same thing happened. I then tried some others and got mixed results: Limewire opened fine, App Zapper did not. iPhoto, iCal, pages and firefox all work, sofware update in system preferences does not... Can someone PLEASE help me??

** Update **
    Tried my dashboard... Nothing comes up either... The screen dims, but no widgets come up... I also tried re-installing iTunes, but when I clicked on the itunes.mpkg, it just 'flashed' and nothing happened...

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Can you open disk utility, if you can then repair permissions, otherwise boot from your CD and run disk utility from their to do it.

3. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

I can run disk utility and have done so a couple of times now hoping that it would solve the problem but it hasn't... Any other advice?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I can't think of anything else besides backing up what you need and reinstalling the OS, but I would wait a little while to see if anyone else has other ideas.

5. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll get it all ready. Do you have any good solutions/programs that I should use to back up my data? Would something like Toast Titanium work well? Drag everything that I would like to back up into it and make DVD's? thanks a lot for the info:)

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

same happened to me. use disk utility from the install disk and repair disk and permissions.

7. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so run it from the install disk, not my computer?

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Insert the install disk, and boot from it, then run disk utility from it.

I would also do a fsck...

9. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you kindly let me know what an fsck is?

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

11. jordanborth thread starter macrumors newbie

**Update**
    I have backed up all of my important stuff, but unfortunately could not find my installation disks... I have no idea where they could be. Anyways, I borrowed a friends copy and when I try and boot into it, it says that it can not be installed on my computer... I thought it may have been his copy, so I tried another copy... Nothing. So what am I supposed to do? I can't boot from the disk as it won't allow me too.... Help?

12. arsh89 macrumors newbie

OOH, I know... I think

anyways, i'm having the same problem i just googled to see if anyone else had an answer. anyways, i hope you didn't reinstall the disc because this person seems to have the solution:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=54081

but i can't figure out how he downloaded the webkit from the webkit website (which i found via google):

http://webkit.org/

if anyone can direct us to a download site with mirrors or something, or explain to me what the nightly build thing means (does it only work at night?)(I'm a bit of a newbie)

thanks

update:
    here's a site from the apple discussion groups with similar problems:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=992832&tstart=0

haven't looked at the whole thing but seems to be helping people. good luck and tell me if you get anywhere.