Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
This is a post for my friend, I will try and give as much info as I can, but being as it did not happen to me, I don't know if I can explain as well as is needed. He's running the same computer as I am.

He is running 10.3.9 and installed QT7 when it showed up in Software Update. He proceeded to change themes with ShapeShifter after installing Q7. After selecting the new theme, SS restarted the Finder to apply the theme, like it always does. When everything came back up, no applications would load. Not a one. When clicking on an application in the dock, or opening it from a Finder window, the icon will bounce once and then go silent. He can go through his computer through Finder windows, and view QT movies in preview mode, but not a single application will load, not even QT. The only thing he can do is change Dock Settings through the Apple menu. Clicking "Dock Preferences..." from there gives him nothing though. He can't repair permissions because he can't launch Disk Utility nor the Terminal. I ran him through zapping PRAM and running fsck over the phone, but neither of those seemed to do anything.

So far I am at a total loss, and I don't know what to tell him. He can drag things between his two harddrives, so it is possible for him to back up most of his stuff and to a reinstall (and probably will when he gets his discs from home). Aside from that does anyone have any ideas on what else to do? I'm completely baffled.

Something I should mention, he lost the keys to his padlock and cannot open his case (yea, I've been yelling at him for that :p ) So nothing can be checked inside for now. At least until he finds a bolt cutter of some sort.

Any help is appreciated! We thank you!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Try these until your apps work.
0, Check your premissions.
Are you in the right account.
Get Info on apps- what are the premissions set to?
Get Info the HD- what are the premissions set to?
1, if you can Dissable Shapshifter and any non-apple applications.
2, if you can, Dissable all startup items.
3, Re-boot.
4, Lastly, reinstall OS from the restore CDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.