applications not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordan eff, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

Just in the last 20mins all my apps stopped responding at once but the mouse and keyboard was still working, i was able to force quite them all but when i tried to re launch them the little light at the bottom of the dock to show an application is running just kept flashing and never launched anything, I went to the apple menu and clicked restart and nothing happened so I held in the power button and left it a moment and turned it on and it took a long long time to reach the desktop

anyone know what might have caused this as the computer still seems a but laggy

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Boot from Install Disc 1 while holding D ... Run Apple Hardware Test.

3. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Still acting sluggish? Might be the hard drive dying.

5. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

still lagging a bit and getting the spinning beach ball when trying to open system preferences, sure the HD cant die after less than 2 weeks of use

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

May have been defective to begin with. Call Apple or take it in to the store.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Repair your hard disk permissions

Quick Guide:

1. To open Disk Utility, from your Applications folder, open your Utilities folder and double-click the Disk Utility icon.

2. In the column on the left, click your startup disk's icon.

3. Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Also, before going to Apple, might want to do an Erase and Install. No point in going to Apple if the problem could be fixed.