applications permanently minimized - how to view?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btownguy, Jul 22, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I'm a first-time Mac user with a brand new MBP. One thing that is annoying me (and I'm hoping it's just something I'm missing) is this. Every once in a while I will have an application running but not viewable (the icon is on the right-side of the dock, but to the left of the vertical line). If I click on the icon, it doesn't restore back up on the screen. The menu bar shows that it's running, but the only way I can get it back up on the screen is to quit it from the menu bar and then run it again. Feels like a bug - any way to restore applications back to the screen when this happens?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What applications are you talking about?

Maybe you need to open a new window/document, after you clicked the application's icon in the dock.

As you might know, applications in Mac OS don't quit by just closing the last window (some do, but those are the ones having only one window like System Preferences), so the program is still active, but it just hasn't any open documents.

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

The last time it happened it was System Preferences. I was editing wireless network settings.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've had System Preferences do that to me occasionally, I think it is a bug there. Usually SP will quit when you close the window.

Any others?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im thinking its a minimised application? some third party applications will not pop up after their dock icon has been clicked (the Apple ones will). click the minimised window in the right section of the Dock instead and it will pop up from the Dock.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Calgoo (used to sync Google calendar with the Mobile Me calendar) is one that doesn't work right. If you close the window the app stays running in the dock but you can never get a new window open without quitting the app. I've learned to just hide the app instead. For the OP... if you notice certain apps doing this you can just hide them instead of closing their window by right-clicking on their icon in the dock and choosing Hide or by clicking on the apps name in the menu bar and choosing Hide <application> or just hitting Command-H.