Applications shut down randomly with snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by katonah4, Sep 15, 2009.

1. katonah4 macrumors newbie

I installed Snow Leopard about a week ago on my MacBook Pro (purchased in early 2006). Since then I randomly get a blue screen and all the open applications shut down. I then have to re-open them. It is very annoying! I can't see a pattern but I mostly use Microsoft Office for Mac and it occurs when I am in the middle of a word or excel document. I have found no reference online to this sort of problem. I have not installed any other new software or hardware during this time. Any suggestions?

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

You mean you get logged out?

And here's a misc. tip – don't use Microsoft Office.

3. iphone3gss macrumors member

Wow, I'm glad you posted. I'm having the exact same problem! My system is mid-2009 MBP.

I didn't bother posting because I had done an upgrade from Leopard, and then I also installed Parallels and Coolbook. It would happen at totally random times to me.

I just did a fresh install last night, and I've been busy putting my programs back on. I'm not going to install Parallels or Coolbook and see how things go. I will post back if I have this problem again.

What system do you have?
    Did you do fresh install or upgrade?
    Do you have Parallels installed?
    Do you have Coolbook installed?

4. katonah4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope I'm replying correctly since this is my first time on the forum. Anyway, I'll be working on a word or excel document and suddenly the screen goes blue and takes me back to my desktop. All of the applications have shut down (kind of like an automated "force quit"). I then have to re-open the applications and usually it will bring back up a "recovered" version of the document I had open when this happened. As for Office, I've used the mac version for years and have had very few issues until I upgraded to Snow Leopard (SN).

Any other thoughts? Should I uninstall SN and reinstall it?

Thanks

5. katonah4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the upgrade disk and simply installed it. I do not have installed either of the programs you mention.

Let's stay in touch on this one. Thanks.

6. iphone3gss macrumors member

So you did an upgrade?

I haven't had the problem for about 15 hours since doing a fresh install. I will let you know if it returns.

7. katonah4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did an upgrade. Did you do an uninstall of snow leopard and then re-install it? Thanks.

8. mmjaeger macrumors newbie

SL crashes

Although I've done a fresh install, SL has not been a pleasant experience so far - especially Adobe Fireworks always crashes when exiting the program which is really annoying. Other than that SL work just fine.

9. iphone3gss macrumors member

I put the SL disc in and when it loaded I went to disk utility and deleted and recreated the partition. Then I went through the SL install process. So far I haven't had any problems. I was having the exact same problem as you as any program could be in use and all of a sudden I got the blue screen and then had to log in again.

10. katonah4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you give me more explicit directions (I'm not that savvy) as to how to " delete and recreate the partition"? What partition-- are you talking about the SL disk or the hard disk? How do I delete and recreate it? Will it cause any other issues with my mac?

Thanks for you insight and assistance!

11. ImRainey macrumors newbie

12. iphone3gss macrumors member

First off, be sure you backup your data. At the end you'll want to restore your data, but I would avoid restoring from a Time Machine backup since the problem may have been in some of our settings/config files.

Once Disk Utility opens, select the hard drive. On the right click Partition. From there you can delete the "Macintosh HD" partition. After it is gone, click the + button and readd a "Macintosh HD" partition. Pick Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

At this point I'm assuming my issue is fixed. I have not had any problems since reinstalling.