Applications slow to load on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shivohum, Sep 22, 2009.

1. shivohum macrumors newbie

I have a 2.4 Ghz Macbook pro with 4 GB of RAM, and compared to a lot of other Macs - like the 2.6 Ghz/2 GB iMac I'm typing this on - it seems awfully slow to load applications. I'm running Snow Leopard, and the problem has not gotten any different or better.

For example, if I quit Word, after opening it, and then start it again, it takes 8 seconds. On this iMac, it takes 2 seconds. They're both running Word 2008.

Firefox 3.6 often takes 6 seconds to open, compared to more or less instantaneously on the iMac. It's true that if I open Firefox, close it, and then open it again on my MBP, it sometimes then loads instantaneously, but if I wait 30 seconds, it might take 6 seconds again.

I have my graphics card set to "high performance," so it should be using the nVidia card rather than the integrated card, and I have the 7200 rpm hard drive.

What's the deal? I can't think of any exceptional CPU/memory-hogging application that I'm running in the background, and activity monitor shows 85-90% capacity idle.

Any idea what the deal is? Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Have you updated all your firmware and software? Have you tried to remove the applications and reinstall them? If none of these work, I would recommend doing some system maintenance with Onyx (freeware).