Applications Slow to Load (sometimes never)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CharliePassword, Sep 23, 2014.

1. CharliePassword macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

Hello! I've seen this topic being explored in other places on the web, and I've tried all of the solutions I could, but I feel my situation may be slightly unique in that it only happens rarely. Anyways, here is my experience.

I began having trouble when I was working in Logic Pro 9, and it froze. I don't remember exactly all the details, but I was able to force close it, and then it just wouldn't open again. I restarted the Book, and then when I clicked on the icon to open Logic, it bounced once and never opened. After multiple force closes and restarts to no avail, I decided to upgrade to Mavericks. Mind you, this was only a few weeks after I installed a new SSD - because very bad things were happening every day - and everything had been running so super smooth after the new hard drive install. So after installing Mavericks everything was fine, but I'm still finding that maybe once a month, this happends with the following applications: Logic Pro 9, Ableton Live 9, and Google Chrome. With Chrome, the logo bounces and bounces and will not open. It eventually stops bouncing. Now, all three applications won't work when one freezes and I have to restart. The other day I tried cmd-option-esc when Ableton froze (there was no mouse icon, and I could not three-finger swipe to another screen) and I was able to restart the application just fine. So again, if say, Logic freezes and I restart and it won't open, Live and Chrome are likely to also not open. iTunes, Calendar, Safari, all fine and will still open when the others won't. So I keep restarting and trying (sometimes during restart the blank white screen lasts for minutes before restarting) until eventually, after four or five minutes of the application not starting, it magically starts - and if I had clicked on another, like Chrome, to no avail, that starts up to. It's like there was a hiccup and everything caught up to time again and starts up no problem.

When this happens, I always restart into safe mode, and every time, each of these applications works. I've deleted the cache from the library, I've done disk utility, verified and repaired disk permissions, logged out of Admin and back in, and a few other things. It seems to eventually work, but I use these programs professionally - and on stage. I'd like to get this worked out before it happens when it's super tragedy.

I know I've typed a lot. I appreciate your time, if you've gotten this far. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Macbook model????

We need to know your macbook model, year and specs.

Sounds to me like you are just running a lot of intensive newer apps at the same time and your CPU and or RAM is struggling.

Chrome is a massive CPU hog especially on mavericks, it seems to be particularly badly coded for OSX if you have this running in the background especially with flash plug ins going it will certainly slow you down. Try switching to safari as your browser.

3. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

Thanks for the reply. I added my specs to my signature before I posted, and I'm not sure why it didn't show up. They are included at the bottom.

So, your explanation could explain why everything freezes. But why, upon restart, would a single app like Logic not open, and continuously be non-responsive?

Mid2010 15"MCP, 2.54 i5, SSD, 8GBram
    OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks
    Logic Pro 9.1.8/Ableton Live 9
    MOTU Ultralite MK3 Interface connected via Firewire

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

How much free space is left on the SSD? Also, as I recall, the 2010 MBP's supported SATA I. Is the SSD meant for a SATA (I) connection, or SATA III or ???

6. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

SATA III, but there was an adapter included that allowed me to connect it to this book. I doubt that's the issue, because this issue is only occasional. 325 is free of 511 total.

As fas as switching between discrete & on-board graphics, is that just a matter of turning off the Automatic Graphics Switching option? As I understand it, the programs I use most often require discrete graphics.

The three programs I have problems with ARE the only programs I use that require the higher performance graphics processor, so yes, I'm beginning to think it might have something to do with graphics.

I haven't had a chance to try the SMC reset yet, and I will later.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just so I am clear, you are saying if you boot to safe mode you never have this issue and everything works perfectly? If that is the case, you likely have a login or startup item causing a conflict, because a safe mode boot bypasses all login and startup items.

8. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

During the dark hour, after one of the programs' freezing has caused me to restart and none of the applications are opening, I restart in Safe Mode and each of the programs that weren't opening in regular mode open up swiftly and smoothly.

Thank you for your correspondence.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that for sure points to a conflict with a login or startup item.

Run the app EtreCheck and that will give you a list of all startup/login items and you can then start removing them one by one to pin down the offender.

10. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

Thank you for this fabulous tip. Is there a way to check which offender might be causing the problem without the problem actually happening? As I said, it's an occasional occurrence, so it may be a long time before it happens again.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... there is no easy way to ID the troublemaker. When it happens you might look in Console log at that exact time/date and see if there are any log entires that tip you off, but that is a long shot.

You just have to trial and error start removing them. I would start with non-Apple third party things running. For example, it is unlikely to be Apple's iTunes helper causing the problem.

12. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

It looks like the only things running in that category are:

Launch Daemons:
    [loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support
    Launch Agents:
    [running] com.motu.MOTULauncher.plist Support
    User Login Items:
    Flux
    3rd Party Preference Panes: ?
    Flash Player Support
    Native Instruments USB Audio Support

MOTU is the audio interface I use.

I changed keystone to look for updates once a week so that doesn't run everytime I start.

13. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

So, it just happened again, after I restart. Guess what I did. I force-closed the application that would not open, turned off Automatic Graphics Switching in preferences, clicked on the application, and it started right up, no problem.

Could this mean that the on-board Intel graphics card is a little dodgy and I should avoid using it?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A safe mode boot does disable that also, so yes you may be onto something there. This was pretty common with the 2010 and 2011 models sadly.

15. CharliePassword thread starter macrumors newbie

CharliePassword

Thank for your correspondence. I haven't experienced any problems so far, but if anything changes I'll pop back in here & update you :cool: