Applications stack question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skinnylegs, Dec 30, 2007.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I've been fooling around and customizing my desktop. I created an Applications stack which is 'kinda cool. However, I have *so* many apps. and I really only want to put those apps. I used frequently in the stack. So, I dragged an app. out of the Applications stack to the trash but that actually trashes the application! I figure I can create a new application stack with shortcuts and/or copies but I'm wondering....

If I drag my Applications stack from the dock to the trash will it trash my applications? I don't want to fubar my system.

Thanks!

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

You don't have to drag it to the trash, just drag it off the dock. It will work just fine. The shortcut idea sound good, you should post a screenshot.

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Here's a screenie. I like the new look. It frees up space on the desktop and still allows quick access to frequently used programs.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Blueharry macrumors newbie

That looks great!

Hey, that's really cool! Is there any way for me to replace icons like you did? Like that trash can? Is there a web site full of replaceable icons that I can check out?

5. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Thanks!

For custom icons, you can check out http://interfacelift.com/ or Google, "mac + icons" and you'll get quite a few hits. I use CandyBar to change icons. You eventually have to pay a nominal fee for it but it's well worth it IMHO. CandyBar can be found at http://www.panic.com/candybar/

6. Blueharry macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks!

Okay, I'm gonna check that out. Thanks so much!

7. Blueharry macrumors newbie

Hmm...

By the way, I'm kinda poor, is there another program that does this for free?

8. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

There's no reason to pay for a program to change your icons when it can easily be done for free. Simple click on the icon file you want to use, and use the keyboard shortcut command-i (for "Get Info"). In the upper left corner of the window that opens, there should be a tiny little icon preview. Click on it, and it gets a slight blue glow around it. Hit command-c to copy the icon preview, and then find the icon you want to change. Do the "Get Info" thing on that one, click on its icon preview, and hit command-v to paste the previous icon preview onto this one. And that's it! You might have to open and close the app to get the icon to change, or if it's on the dock you might have to restart your computer. But it's that easy.

9. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

'Kinda......

IMHO it's well worth the few ducats for CandyBar but yeah, that gets it done. BTW.....a logout and login will usually do the trick instead of restarting.

10. Blueharry macrumors newbie

Another Question

Hey, is there a way to change all the regular folders so they are a different one? I guess what I'm asking is how to change the default folder?

Thanks for the info! My Mac suddenly looks so cool... Never really though about all the customizations.

11. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

CandyBar allows you to specify an icon for default folders. :)

If you notice, you will find a folder titled, "Generic." If you replace this with a different icon then each time you create a new folder it will use the folder icon you designate.

[​IMG]

12. rhyndu macrumors regular

Well... you can change the contents of the icon in System Resources that the folder icon is kept in but that isn't a great idea.

13. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Or... you can always just download serialbox...:eek: