Applications trying to install *to* mounted DMGs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jonathanstegall, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jonathanstegall macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've just gotten a new Mac Pro at work, and was just running through some initial installs (Firefox, Chrome, Tweetie, and so on) to get myself set up when I noticed that it's trying to install things *to* the mounted DMGs for those apps.

As an example, I downloaded Firefox, opened the DMG, which mounted itself in the Finder as normal. When I dragged the file into the Applications folder (either within the DMG window or within the Finder itself), Firefox installs and I can open it. But when I try to unmount the DMG to get rid of it, it says I can't because Firefox is using it. If I quit Firefox and then try to unmount the DMG, this works fine but then Firefox disappears from the Applications folder.

Has anyone seen this? Is there a setting I haven't run into before? I am an administrator on this box, if that is relevant, or at least it says I am.

Thanks for any thoughts
    Jonathan

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd try rebooting first. Something may have gotten crossed.

3. DualShock macrumors 6502

Make sure you're not creating an alias to Firefox in the /Applications directory. You'll know if that's the case when the app's icon in the /Applications directory has an arrow overlaid on it.

4. jonathanstegall thread starter macrumors newbie

rebooting worked

Many thanks for the suggestion. Rebooting fixed it.