Applications worth buying

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theone1, Feb 28, 2009.

1. theone1 macrumors newbie

Hey Im new to the ipod touch and I just got a 2g 16gb one and I downloaded some free applications, but other then that not much. Can someone tell me the most useful, helpful, OR coolest application on itunes that cost MONEY?

You can just give me a list of them (any category) and explain why they are worth it, please do NOT include games.

I looked on the apple application website and the itunes store, but did not find anything that great.

Thanks

PS-to turn it off, i just hold the top button for like 1 sec (not even) right?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, that sleeps it. To turn it off, hold the Sleep/Wake button until a red slider appears on the screen. Slide it to turn it off, then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for about a second to turn it on again.

3. theone1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thanks, but that is the difference with sleep and turning it off? It was on sleep all last night 10hours :(...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When it's asleep, it can wake up more or less instantly -- if it's set up to give you calendar alarms or get mail via WiFi, it can continue doing those things, etc. As a tradeoff it uses a little energy while it's asleep. Most people leave them on continuously and use sleep, though, because the drain isn't that bad.

5. theone1 thread starter macrumors newbie

SO basically,

Sleep - Can so functions like alarms, email, music, etcs - BUT wastes some battery life

Off - Cant do ANY functions - BUT uses no battery life at all

Correct me if Im wrong

Thanks again

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's essentially correct. The battery will drain some even off for extended periods of time (google "leak current"), but it doesn't get used by the iPod when it's off.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

iFart! :cool::apple:

8. shimmer73083 macrumors newbie

9. theone1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks to all that responded!

And the ipod touch is able to be recharged when its on AND off AND asleep RIGHT?

Thanks

10. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yup, you can recharge it anytime you plug it in

11. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

if you want the most retarded app ever buy that one

12. theone1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya not really in to that, like ill pass on the iBeer or iFart or anything like that

ty though

13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Unit Convert. It's a unit converter (duh), does pretty much anything. Stellar Blaster, iDracula, and ZoneWarrior are all games I found fun enough to be worth a few bucks.

Free stuff you should check out:

Flashlight (comes in handy way more than you might think, includes colored screens and a strobe light function)
    TouchTerm (SSH client)
    Balance (check/debit card register)
    The client apps for Facebook, MySpace, Wordpress, and stuff like that you use
    Wikipanion (Wikipedia reader, formatting is a little more sensible than reading it normally through Safari)
    PhoneFlix (Netflix manager, if you are a member)
    PBJTime (becuase it's peanut butter jelly time on your iPod)

14. aki macrumors 6502a

everyone will like different stuff but right now i like

fieldrunners
    puzzlequest
    7 cities (short but was fun)

15. permutated macrumors member

BLOOM is fantastic for relaxing. It's a generative music app based on the Ambient style of Brian Eno.

Colloquy is a wonderful IRC client.

ToDo is free right now, but it's the best task-oriented program I've used.

16. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Sim City is surprisingly not awful...though it's also not great (there are, after all, space constraints on the iPhone/iPod). As for Bejeweled, just grab the free version of Aurora Feint. ;)

17. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Check out Pandora, a free internet radio app.
    You create various "stations" by entering the name of a favorite artist eg Jimi Hendrix. Pandora will then start playing "Jimi Hendrix Radio", with songs of Jimi as well as other artists in related genres-- you may get some Led Zeppelin etc.
    The great thing is that this exposes you to a lot of music you may not have heard.

AccuWeather is a good free weather app-- much more detail than the one that comes in the iPT. It includes animated radar maps, etc.

I use GroceryiQ a lot for shopping and you might like it if you're of an age/situation where you do your own grocery shopping ;)

18. budkid macrumors regular