Applications

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macgirl2, Nov 6, 2009.

1. macgirl2 macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to prevent someone from downloading things onto your macbook?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What exactly is the problem?

If it is that people are using you macbook without your permission and installing applications then why not think about a password?

3. macgirl2 thread starter macrumors newbie

its just a precaution...i have a password at start up but i wanted to know if there was anyway of preventing them from downloading anything...maybe something that requires a paaword before anyone is able to download stuff?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

They can download whatever they want, but if it is going cause severe damage to your mac then you mac will ask for a password. As long as they do not know this password they cannot do anything extremely serious.

As far as actually stopping people downloading things, Im not sure if you can.

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Leopard and Snow Leopard both ask for a password to open a downloaded application for the first time, and if they don't know it they can download what they like, but it'll never run until the password is entered.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

This isn't true. I download applications all the time and all Leopard says is 'This is a downloaded application from the internet. Are you sure you want to open this? <Cancel> <Open>'

7. jbuk macrumors regular

While certainly not the best solution, you could set up a guest account which will delete itself upon logout.

EDIT: Or, you could set up parental controls on the account which will let the account open all the default applications and nothing else.

8. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

You may have your security settings set lower than mine, but I'm naturally over-protective of my computers when it comes to the Internet. If I don't enter my admin password it won't let it run first time.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Fair enough, I didn't even know this was an option.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009