Apply Performance Update 1.0 to MBP with SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OSXconvert, Oct 15, 2009.

1. OSXconvert macrumors member

Has anybody applied the latest Snow Leopard Performance Update to a macbook pro with an SSD instead of the stock Seagate drive? I have a 17" 2.93ghz MBP with a Crucial 128gb SSD inside and wonder if I should avoid this update. Any comments would be welcome.

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will make a difference for SSD users, it is mainly for those people who had issues with HDD's and the heads parking, which caused stalls.

3. OSXconvert thread starter macrumors member

prodigee, it does sound like it's all about the sata hdd installed as stock. still, software update says it's available for me even after I swapped out the drive. I assume that apple's flag for applying the SU is simply the model number, not a check on the drive. I'll stay away from it until somebody who has an SSD can verify that it is beneficial. I don't have any of these SBD problems anyway.

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

cloned my SSD this morning prior to running the update - ran it, w/no problem or noticeable difference w/update

5. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Oh I know, I was just saying that it is mainly geared toward the HDD crowd, but at the same time it would be pretty difficult for Apple to just send the update to people with just stock HDD's. But I am sure there are minor tweaks across the board.

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I have been running the update for almost 24 hours and no problems have been noted...

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I never had any beachball problems, but I updated anyway, no problems at all... I'm on EFI 1.7 as well.

8. OSXconvert thread starter macrumors member

Any idea what those tweaks could be? The tech note seemed to imply the fix was something to do with accessing the HDD, the I/O stuff.

The update appears in my SU, but I'm still a bit too scared to apply it.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Did it and it didn't do a thing for me - bad or otherwise. Intel X25 160 SSD runs same as it did before being updated, great.