Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you guys I was trying to apply a Tempered glass Screen protector on my iPad Pro and I got it wrong and in the process it tore off, So now I have applied another one, but I am planning to remove even this one aswell and apply another one, as this one is with a Face ID Cut Out and I am looking for one without the Face ID Cut out. I wanted to know from you guys is it ok ? to again and again remove the screen protector and apply a new one, I mean the whole process of removing the earlier Tempered glass Screen Protector which has its own adhesive, and then cleaning the iPad Screen with the Wet Wipes Provided along with the Screen Protector etc...etc...in my case this would be the third attempt ? Will it not remove the natural Oleophobic coating that Apple had applied at the time of manufacturing the iPad Pro Screen Display ? Or will it not make the iPad Pro screen less responsive since one has to go through the cleaning of the iPad Pro screen again and then meticulously apply the Screen Protector everytime ?

What would you guys say ?

Thanks.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you guys I was trying to apply a Tempered glass Screen protector on my iPad Pro and I got it wrong and in the process it tore off, So now I have applied another one, but I am planning to remove even this one aswell and apply another one, as this one is with a Face ID Cut Out and I am looking for one without the Face ID Cut out. I wanted to know from you guys is it ok ? to again and again remove the screen protector and apply a new one, I mean the whole process of removing the earlier Tempered glass Screen Protector which has its own adhesive, and then cleaning the iPad Screen with the Wet Wipes Provided along with the Screen Protector etc...etc...in my case this would be the third attempt ? Will it not remove the natural Oleophobic coating that Apple had applied at the time of manufacturing the iPad Pro Screen Display ? Or will it not make the iPad Pro screen less responsive since one has to go through the cleaning of the iPad Pro screen again and then meticulously apply the Screen Protector everytime ?

Thanks.
No, I have applied many screen protectors on my devices without any major issues. The coating doesn't wear off like that unless it is really old.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I was worried in general is it a good idea to remove one screen protector and apply another on the same device and do it in a row. After periodical intervals.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Hi Guys,

Thanks.
Talk about some serious OCD. I’ve had my screen protector on for 3 years and it’s as good as the day it was installed. I only buy the tempered glass ones that come with a frame so you just drop them in. I also install them right after I remove Apple’s protective film once I buy the iPad new.

Reactions: ingambe

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
It shouldn’t be a problem. I wouldn’t do it every month mind you. Once you find a protector you are happy with, you wont have to worry anymore.

Yes I agree you don’t need to every month, but when I purchased this one it said it is like a full screen and it came with an installation kit so was kind of automated you just clean the device and place the installation kit on top of the screen and Press it. It gets installed, so while doing that you can’t really see if it is with a Face ID Cut out or without hence I got tricked into this. So I might have to change it again. Hence was a bit worried.
[automerge]1595306451[/automerge]
Talk about some serious OCD. I’ve had my screen protector on for 3 years and it’s as good as the day it was installed. I only buy the tempered glass ones that come with a frame so you just drop them in. I also install them right after I remove Apple’s protective film once I buy the iPad new.

I kind of made a very old entry into the screen protector region, because I was always against and reluctant to apply a screen protector on the iPad device which has such wonderful screen and bright and vivid colours. But over the years even the Screen Protector technology has evolved and come of age and so when I realised that now this is not a bad option and it kind of looks aesthetically pleasing aswell so why not ?? Yes the downside is, it does takes away the colour vividness by about 10-15% but gives you great peace of mind that, no matter what happens your screen is safe ! And that was a selling point for me. Yes the colour look a bit washed out but that is a very small price you pay for the big gains you get out of it !!

Last edited:

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
I just use a screen protector with the cut out for the camera on all my devices. I don’t want to affect the quality of the camera in anyway.

On top of this I have a case of some sort as so the chances of something happening to that small part of the screen that isn’t protected is highly unlikely.

It’s a chance I am willing to take to ensure I have good experience with video calls as I do them a lot.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I just use a screen protector with the cut out for the camera on all my devices. I don’t want to affect the quality of the camera in anyway.

On top of this I have a case of some sort as so the chances of something happening to that small part of the screen that isn’t protected is highly unlikely.

It’s a chance I am willing to take to ensure I have good experience with video calls as I do them a lot.

Yes even I thought about it, But My first reason to not to go with a Screen Protector which has a Cut Out for the Face Id is because the one without the Face Id Cutout gives a very clean look, looks aesthetically more pleasing, appears like one screen, the screen of the iPad. If it is properly aligned with the hairline clearance from the sides, Bottom, and Top anybody can hardly say that there is a Screen Protector applied on it. And no having a one, without the Face Id Cutout does not affect the Camera Performance in anyways. I have read and checked many feedback about this on Reddit aswell. Also the one which comes without the Face Id Cutout is not like all covered sheet there is a very small hole on the top for the Camera. See the attached Picture. (This is the one of I broke)

Attachments

• Screen-3.JPG
    Screen-3.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 96

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
Yes even I thought about it, But My first reason to not to go with a Screen Protector which has a Cut Out for the Face Id is because the one without the Face Id Cutout gives a very clean look, looks aesthetically more pleasing, appears like one screen, the screen of the iPad. If it is properly aligned with the hairline clearance from the sides, Bottom, and Top anybody can hardly say that there is a Screen Protector applied on it. And no having a one, without the Face Id Cutout does not affect the Camera Performance in anyways. I have read and checked many feedback about this on Reddit aswell. Also the one which comes without the Face Id Cutout is not like all covered sheet there is a very small hole on the top for the Camera. See the attached Picture. (This is the one of I broke)

I would probably agree in most cases the screen protector shouldn’t affect camera quality. I think the only thing I’ve noticed with a screen protector that has no cut outs apart from the speaker on the phone is that dust and dirt always builds up far more easily in the tiny cut out that still has to remain at the top of a phone screen protector. I am not sure if there are any small cut outs for the iPad. However if there are some then I would probably avoid it for that sole reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.