Applying to colleges and facebooks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Even if I have all my settings set to private, do you think it's a good idea to get rid of any pictures consisting of me consuming alcohol under the age/edited pictures with swearing if I am applying to universities?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is good no matter what. I do not expect colleges to look at those facebook pictures but future employers have a tenancy to look threw facebook.

When ever I am tag in a photo in facebook I make sure it is not one that I do not want up.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

yeah, you probably want to get rid of those pictures anyway, nothing online is private.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Those pics were fun when they were published but I doubt anyone is looking at them anymore, besides your future employer, thus I would remove them. Getting a job or a place to study can be hard nowadays so try to be as "angel" as possible.

I keep my drinking pics in FaceBook for only a month or so as then people who want to see them can see and comment them but after that they are useless.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps this is why Facebook is not renowned for actually deleting accounts. ;)

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Do you reckon? I've heard this on the internet, but I can't believe it's true. I'm skeptical and won't be adjusting my facebook any time soon.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have talk with personally requiters who have said they will try to look threw face book on someone they are interested in and have photos and what not which cause them to decide against giving the person an offer.

I went into one interview and the guy interviewing me had a print out of quite a few things off the internet about me that he found. It shocked me that he had it. Now what he had was good stuff but still shock me and he ask me some question about what I did in those programs where my named popped up.
    Other told me that the guy had found pictures of them drinking and partying online and ask them question about it.
    So yes they do look.
    Trick is make sure that their is nothing that can link you up.
    Now to find some more questionable stuff about me it would require you knowing my real name another one of my online handles to have any hope to finding the more questionable stuff which even then is not that bad.
    Just would require you having my online gaming tag and know who it belongs to.