Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ishy68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I'm a long term windows user but am thinking of purchasing a 15 inch rMBP. As this is the most expensive item I've ever bought (apart from my car and my house), I'm slightly nervous when looking at these forums though to see issues about 'yellow tints on screens' and 'macbooks getting hot'. Every review I've come across has nothing but good things to say about Mac hardware, but I keep coming across posts here and elsewhere that are slowly sowing doubts in my mind.

I was going to purchase Apple Care along with the laptop but I'm not close to an apple store. If I do get these screen issues or overheating issues what are peoples general experience with apple and returns, especially if you can't physically make it to the store.

regards

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I have to admit it was one of the three deciding factors in my purchasing a 13" Refurb rMBP. It was a low factor, cost and portability ranked much higher.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Apple, and the Apple Stores, are very good to their customers. They have a 14 day return policy, and will generally replace a defective computer in the first year.

As to the tint issues, this issue occurred with the first rMBP's. I haven't seen any posts for the 2014 rMBP's.

As to the heat issue, certain types of programs (games, video processing) will max out the CPU and GPU, and create heat. Ignore the knucleheads that decided to replace the thermal paste and screwed up their computer.

As to Apple Care, you don't have to purchase it right away. You have a year from when you purchase your rMBP to buy Apple Care. I bought a 2013 rMBP in April 2014, and will make a decision in March 2015 whether or not to buy Apple Care.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Apple care is always something I buy for any osx product. Even if you never use it, it increases the resale value of an item considerably

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
OP,

I understand your concern. I was in the same boat several years ago. I don't have an Apple store closer than 2 hours. I was worried about reliability too.

Remember, this is the place people come for problems. To ask questions and to voice concerns. The vast majority of Apple users are not only happy but enthusiastic about their products. I know that I am. There is no question there are some issue with Apple equipment, but the is also true for any other manufacturer. Most of us love our Apple equipment.

I was so concerned I bought a first generation MacBook Pro Core Duo on ebay that was 3 years old. I thought if it failed it would not be that much of a loss. I loved it so much that rMBP and a Mac Mini. I still use the first generation MacBook Pro. It is fantastic.

Remember though…you are not spending the amount of money for something that is going to last longer. Buy what you need for your computer requirements now.
:apple:

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Bought MBP 15 4 days ago, replaced MBA 13, which replaced MBP 2008, which replaced .....anyone remember the PowerBook Duo?
All good.
I live 15 minutes away from the downtown Toronto store - so not an issue returning.
No experience with Apple Care so no guidance to offer, just one anecdote.
Few years ago my iPhone was acting a bit strange with the Line2 app (turned out it was the app bug). Went to the Apple store and asked if diagnostic could be run, Turned up no errors. The apple lady reached behind the counter, pulled out a new iPhone and replaced mine without me asking. I was at 14 months and off warranty.

Buy it, enjoy it.
You will wish you bought 10 years ago - at least that what my friends say with first Mac.
Oh, and yes, I have paid about the same for a new car, but that was awhile ago.

And talk of yellow and colour temperature made me think of this:
https://justgetflux.com
https://justgetflux.com/news/pages/mac/
Helps reduce eyestrain

Last edited:

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
If you really run into an issue, call the store you bought it from, or call Apple directly. They will take care of you.

We're not fans because Apple sucks, we're fans because we're satisfied customers.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Seldom do people go online telling people how their computer is working. Usually it's to complain or ask questions about issues.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine works great.

ishy68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Well I took the plunge. So far so good, no overheating, no yellow tint (at least that I can work out). Works like a charm, busy tapping away with Xamarin Studio, running visual studio in parallels and have so far seen no slowdown at all. Lovely :)

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
They're great machines. I've had no issues with the yellow tint, and ignore the people yapping about the heat issues, your MBP getting warm during heavy use is perfectly normal - if it gets too hot it will shut itself down

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013
Apple, and the Apple Stores, are very good to their customers.

That is, they are very good for customers who don't care to buy applecare, and who are lucky to have a machine that lasts after applecare has expired. They are not very good to customers hit by design issues like nvidiagate, radeongate or the MeltBook Pro syndrome...

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Well I took the plunge. So far so good, no overheating, no yellow tint (at least that I can work out). Works like a charm, busy tapping away with Xamarin Studio, running visual studio in parallels and have so far seen no slowdown at all. Lovely :)

MacBook Pros do not overheat. People buy an aluminum laptop in which the chassis acts as a giant heat sink and freak out when it gets warm to the touch.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro 15", late 2013 model, 3 weeks ago and had it shipped to the Apple Store. When they called I carried my 8 year old Dell XPS with me and left it with them to transfer all of the data from it into the MBP. They called me about 5 hours later and told me it was ready to be picked up. The genius suggested I wait until the next day to pick it up and make an appointment for a one on one class to learn the basics of using the MBP. Everything worked out perfect. The MBP looked brand new. I'm very happy with it so far. The cost of the transfer of data and one year of classes cost $99. I saved over $500 by buying the refurb Mac and it has the same warranty as a new one.

The whole experience has been great. Go get you one and enjoy. Oh by the way, going from a PC to a Mac is no big deal. If I can do it anyone can. I'm having a ball playing with this thing. I just wish I had done this years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.