Apprehensive About Updating

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cult.hero, Dec 26, 2013.

1. cult.hero macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I'm think about updating my macbook pro to 10.9 from 10.6.8 and I'm super apprehensive about doing so. I've heard a lot of the bads, and not so much of the good. My macbook pro is from 2010 with 4GB of RAM and pleeeeenty of free space. I use this computer for work (mostly use adobe programs photoshop, illustrator, and indesign) and am worried about performance issues. Any advice on the issue?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Not using the same machine, but I will chime in Mavericks offers crazy good performance boosts, I noticed an incomprehensible drop in Page Outs on 4GB RAM after updating.

I haven't encountered any major bugs, just a few minor ones (the dock can be aggressively stubborn in popping up when hidden, for example).

Hope that helps.

3. 844957 Suspended

i wish i hadn't updated mine....i would hold off or just keep it as it is until you get a new mac and are "forced" into the new OS

Mavericks sux

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The OP might want a little more info than it "sux", what makes it bad?

5. cult.hero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

cohenmatt - what do you hate so much about it.

I'm really apprehensive because a friend of mine had an issue with her Above CS programs running slow or crashing after the update. She upgraded from 4GB of ram to 16 GB and that seems to have helped. As a recent graduate spending the money on upgrading the ram isn't an option just yet, so that's out. XD

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

What version of CS are you using? CC runs fine on Mavericks, but CS6 will probably have issues.

7. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

If you're bored or having nothing to lose by upgrading then by all means do it. But I usually don't mess around with upgrades if I'm busy and need my computer to get work done. While it can be a quick and painless process there is always the chance that something goes wrong and wrecks your system.

8. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

What's the fuzz?

What's the fuzz guys?

OP; just give it a try to find out if the upgrade to 10.9.1 meets your needs and likings with your apps & workflows!

1. Make sure to make a Carbon Clone Copy of your excisting OS/data
    2. Perform a clean install of 10.9 / update with the combo update 10.9.1
    3. Use migration assistant to copy back your apps/users/settings
    4. Fiddle around with your new OS!

If you are not satisfied, restore your old OS from the CCC copy back! Nice try-out for upcoming new years day? ;)

GL & CHEERS

BTW I'll be waiting for the 10.9.2 fix first!

9. Bear macrumors G3

Check on Adobe's website for their compatibility with Mavericks. I recommend you wait until all the software you use has updates that is Mavericks compatible.

I would recommend until your friend's issues with Adobe CS is sorted out before you try to go to Mavericks.

10. faneos macrumors member

faneos

I did it and i pay my mistake every day so many bug...if you do it keep a backup or two or three