All iPads appropriate iPad for graphic designer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stayblunted, Oct 30, 2012.

1. stayblunted macrumors member

Short question, what would be the best affordable iPad for a graphic designer? I always thought the iPad 2 would do me enough justice but now that the iPad mini is out the portability and that fact that it weighs less a pound is interesting. I carry my 2011 Macbook Pro weekly.

I'm not interested in Retina in anyway, I have my iPhone 4s for that. iPad 4 is not out of the question but seems a bit overkill when it comes to my needs. I want a device that will last me well into the next year and OS update.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think you answered your own question

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A benefit of the larger screen is that you can use it as an external monitor with Air Display.

4. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

+1 for the regular iPad. Could probably find a good deal on a used iPad 2 16GB...

I'm a graphic designer as well and although I don't use it as much (do most of my designing on a 27" iMac)... AirDisplay while you're mobile with your MacBook is pretty sweet and convenient. I have an 11" MacBook Air and the screens match up pretty well. Its like a little portable command center :cool:.

I just throw my email client, rdio player, iMessage, finder window over on the iPad... works great as a second screen.

Plus showing off your work on a larger screen is better (portfolio, screenshots, mockups, pdf, etc).

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Why are you "not into retina" as a graphic designer?

There's nothing but a benefit from retina. High pixel density, easier on the eyes, a huge amount of real estate when used that way(like with air display, VNC/logmein, graphic design apps), etc.

And for showing off design work, it really makes everything look far less like it's on a screen and much more like it's popping out at you, or is printed using a very high resolution printer.