All iPads appropriate iPad for graphic designer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stayblunted, Oct 30, 2012.

1. stayblunted macrumors member

Oct 3, 2012
    Short question, what would be the best affordable iPad for a graphic designer? I always thought the iPad 2 would do me enough justice but now that the iPad mini is out the portability and that fact that it weighs less a pound is interesting. I carry my 2011 Macbook Pro weekly.

I'm not interested in Retina in anyway, I have my iPhone 4s for that. iPad 4 is not out of the question but seems a bit overkill when it comes to my needs. I want a device that will last me well into the next year and OS update.
  2. saving107 macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I think you answered your own question
  3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    A benefit of the larger screen is that you can use it as an external monitor with Air Display.
  4. phantomsd macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1 for the regular iPad. Could probably find a good deal on a used iPad 2 16GB...

I'm a graphic designer as well and although I don't use it as much (do most of my designing on a 27" iMac)... AirDisplay while you're mobile with your MacBook is pretty sweet and convenient. I have an 11" MacBook Air and the screens match up pretty well. Its like a little portable command center :cool:.

I just throw my email client, rdio player, iMessage, finder window over on the iPad... works great as a second screen.

Plus showing off your work on a larger screen is better (portfolio, screenshots, mockups, pdf, etc).
  5. fs454 macrumors 68000

Dec 7, 2007
    Los Angeles / Boston
    Why are you "not into retina" as a graphic designer?

There's nothing but a benefit from retina. High pixel density, easier on the eyes, a huge amount of real estate when used that way(like with air display, VNC/logmein, graphic design apps), etc.

And for showing off design work, it really makes everything look far less like it's on a screen and much more like it's popping out at you, or is printed using a very high resolution printer.