Appropriate software for an older Mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Myrtle, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Myrtle macrumors newbie

I work for a charity, and because I know marginally more than those around me, I've been designated the web developer.

I've done a few bits and bobs here and there, mostly learning as I've gone along and stretching myself from my former graphic design background.

Anyhoo. I'm putting a request in for some additional training on Dreamweaver, and need to purchase software for my Mac. The best option appeared to be Adobe Creative Suite 4 Premium, because of all the gubbins it offered. However, I'm on a 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4, so it won't run on mine.

Is there another option for me? There's so much software out there that no longer runs on my laptop, that I'm beginning to wonder if I should be upgrading. Shame it's so costly!

Any ideas warmly welcomed.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can check places like eBay for some older software that will run, but honestly, I think you should consider the upgrade path. The refurb store is probably a good option for you to save some $$ and still get a great laptop that will really meet your needs.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't need Dreamweaver to make a webpage. Try BBEdit, an excellent text/html editor.

4. Myrtle thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks both for the rapid replies.

MacDawg: I'll keep an eye on the clearance lists on the apple site, might scout around some of the refurb sites in the UK too. Unfortunately everything seems out of my budget at the moment!

miles: I've no doubt you're right, but my training will be in Dreamweaver, and being a novice, I'd rather stick to what I'm taught - initially at least.

Thanks again

5. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

RapidWeaver & Coda are good solutions for being universal apps if you're running 10.5, both are quite popular and have good developer mode view. Cost is much more reasonable too.

As far as Dreamweaver, features/UI layout things haven't changed much from Dreamweaver MX/2004 and CS3. If you do go for an old version, CS3 is still worth it. Personally I own two PowerBook G4s and didn't bother with CS3 as I have a Thinkpad so I moved to Dreamweaver CS4(while saving up for a new Mac). It boggles my mind of what under-the-hood changes can't justify PowerPC support while Wintel support just requires a 1Ghz processor with XP/Vista/Win7... I'll never understand Adobe :confused: