Appropriate Thermal Paste on latest MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArmanUV, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ArmanUV macrumors member

I'm buying a 15" BTO MBP in a few days and I was wondering : does apple apply reasonable amounts of thermal paste to the MBPs now?
    Considering the buzz it produced on the internet, it'd be unlikely that they did nothing about it.

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You can see there are a couple threads on the exact issue. You would benefit from reapplying the thermal paste, but for the most part you should be okay.

You have to think the people on this forum are more aware than the typical apple user. So if it's fine for them, it'll be alright for us.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Just let your computer run like it was built to. There's absolutely zero need for a new post.

4. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

I used Arctic Silver 5

check my thread for temps

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

All OEMs err on the side of caution and apply too much thermal paste compared to too little. What ends up happening is the thermal paste becomes an insulator of sorts, and doesn't work as efficiently as it could.

I personally just reapplied the thermal paste on my 2011 15" MacBook Pro and saw a drop of 10C from 64C to 54C from normal web browsing on my 27" ACD (and it could go lower as it has to cure for about 200 hours).