Approved 4K Monitors for Mac computers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Average Pro, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Average Pro macrumors regular

2. w0rd3r macrumors regular

w0rd3r

I really don't and I don't know how to make a display appear on the apple supported page. As a matter of fact a lot of other displays are supported but Apple apparently doesn't care.

The whole "4K/UHD and Mac Pro" support page is weird. Some informations are even false. Anyway, I had the Samsung U28D590D and now the ASUS PB287Q and they both work flawlessly. But they're not on the support page ...

3. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

This whole 4K compatibility issue is why I tend to just get whatever Apple comes out but since I just recently purchased a new computer (base 15 inch 2013 MBPr) and have no desire to drop $2400 on a 5K iMac, I'm considering getting a 3rd party 4K monitor.

It seems as if my computer will work fine with a number of the options out there but is there a reason that my base 15 inch will support 4K at 60 Hertz while a 13 inch model will not despite the fact that both have the same Intel Iris Pro graphics?

It just seems odd that the 13 inch models are shut out of running 4K at 60Hz.

4. ra004e macrumors regular

13" has Iris graphics not Iris Pro, it's a chip limitation as Iris does not currently support 4k @ 60Hz

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3246

5. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks.