Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
The home button on my AT&T (bought on release day) iPhone 4 does not always respond to input. Sometimes it takes two or three very deliberate pushes before it responds.

I don't want a replacement, as long as it doesn't fail to respond completely.

I can tolerate it, while I wait to buy the upcoming AT&T iPhone 5 no matter how long I must wait.

Your thoughts please.

Thank you.

EDIT: Mods, sorry about duplicate post :)

Last edited:

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
this seems to be quite a common problem since the iOS 4.1 update there are quite a few people who have experienced the same problem, myself included. I guess it must be OS related.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
What do you people do with your home buttons? I've been using mine everyday since launch and have had no problems with it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I wonder if it's not that the button is now required to do double duty with all the double-clicking now...

zenio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I wonder if it's not that the button is now required to do double duty with all the double-clicking now...

Good point !

However in my case I feel that my double clicking is not excessive & much like any other button it should not shorten it's lifespan dramatically. About the only way that might occur would be if it was a substandard part.

ZappBrannigan

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
button hell

My button also works sporadically. I'm pretty sure it is a software issue and not a mechanical one. I'm thinking about taking it in, but I'm afraid that they will not be able to reproduce the failure. Like I said it seems random.

John88

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I have an iPod Touch and the home button was going whacko for like a 1 1/2 months. One day it would be completely unresponsive, to working half the time, to working good for a couple hours then go bad again. It was really frustrating, as my warranty expired 2 weeks before it occurred. But now it's been perfect for a few months now.

Maybe just wait it out? I'd still take it into the :apple: store and exchange it though.

I recently swapped my new Verizon iPhone. The replacement is awesome, though it took two exchanges to be satisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.