Approx one week with my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jun 6, 2009.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

So far my feelings towards the unibody MacBook.
    + Brilliant screen (I have the new screen)
    + OSX (Quick and elegant)
    + Beautifully crafted design and solid build.
    + Keyboard (finally a laptop keyboard I don't accidently hit two keys when speed typing)
    + Universal software updates (such a wonderful feature instead of updating everything individually)
    + Speakers are crystal clear and loud (well, in comparisson to my Dell XPS? It's like listening from mono to Dolby Digital. Not the best but, TONS better than what I've normally heard from laptops.)

- screen hinge could be a little better
    - heat...heat...heat (it's really not that bad - but, still better heat managment would have been nice)
    - about every 15 minutes or so (not always happening) a video i watch would stutter for less than a sec. very annoying though.
    - handles flash horribly. ...unforgivingly absurd.
    - i am a power user and so far it has handled what i throw at it very well. i save space two for adobe photoshop and illustrator with space three for itunes and twitter and web browsing and space one for general managment of files and space four for video/editing / however, i have noticed considerable lag and spinning wheel overtime and hopefully will be remedied when I upgrade the harddrive and ram to 4gigs.
    - lack of hdmi (true hdmi output...you know...with sound). this was such a big sad face for me. i enjoy hooking up my notebooks to my hdtv to watch videos...
    - lack of the feeling of "freedom" vs windows experience. when i use osx - its neat and well done but, the feeling of being in control has evaded me. with windows its like a virtual sandbox.

overall, i am very pleased with my macbook and would buy one all over again. however, the next time i buy another macbook i hope real hdmi support is added and better heat managment would be a plus.

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Nice to hear somebody sharing a good experience, hope ypu enjoy it for the next 10 years ;)

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I know the feeling... give yourself some time to adjust. Anyone can start using OSX right out of the box but it takes some time to absorb all the pleasant nuances and surprises.

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i installed applejack and onyx. a bit reluctant to use either as some reported actually slowing down there macbook.

i don't enjoy not knowing and feel out of control on maintaining my macbook. i've always used ccleaner and on my desktops and went on. no problems. but, afraid to use applejack or onyx with fear something may occur and not knowing how to remedy it.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I'm glad you like your computer. Did you get the 2.0 or 2.4?

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

The 2.4 as it was the closest to the 15" MBP in overall performance without the added screen real estate.

7. Ashhong macrumors member

macs are different, you arent "out of control" like you think. the thing is theres nothing to take control over. theres not tons of registry issues like Windows. I use CCleaner also and every week theres more registry problems. All you need if you are thorough like me is AppCleaner. use this to delete your programs and you are all set.

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

will it clean up "left behind traces" of programs you may have already deleted?

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

LOL! That's why I gave up on Windows. All I did was clean my freaking registry, remove startup programs, disable and tinker with services, defrag my drives, update drivers, blah blah... good riddance.

I could care less what goes on under the hood of my mac. Maybe I'm naive, but I just think that's what OSX is all about.

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

but in a weird way...thats another reason i enjoyed windows. i'm a tweeker...lol. i always enjoy messing with it.

11. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Blame Adobe for this and their lack of effort in optimizing the Flash player for the Mac.

13. Ashhong macrumors member

not really, it depends. you have to select from a list of installed applications for the program to find related files, so if you already deleted it probably wont work. but its definitely a good program for the future.

14. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I'm guessing you haven't fired up vi or greped from the terminal yet?
    http://homepage.mac.com/rgriff/files/TerminalBasics.pdf

As it is unix based you have far more sand-boxing to do than you could ever do in windows.

15. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Err... kinda. Seatbelt's not really all that well implemented yet. Yeah, Mac OS X does support sandboxing to an extent, but unless it's explicitly built into the app it's not really all that functional. Sandboxing apps using custom policies and sandbox-exec is still an exercise in frustration, and no mainstream apps utilize the seatbelt APIs (yet).

16. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

9CA5 there is also another model number. There are two confirmed model numbers. 9CA5 is one of them.