Approx size of a 45 minute program? (+ a few more questions)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Nov 15, 2007.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Two quick questions about the iPhone.

1. I'd like to put a few Stargate Atlantis episodes on my soon to be purchases iPhone. The originals are nearly dvd quality, and about 350mb. How much would a decent conversion to iPhone res be do you all think? Would I be able to get say 5 episodes into 1GB?

2. Photo library... is there a slideshow feature?

3. When someone gets a new text message, if you're not in the SMS app, does it display the text on the wallpaper screen?

4. If I've got a WIFI network at home and I configure iPhone to it, would it automatically use the wifi connection whenever I open safari without prompting me about whether I'd like to connect via Edge, or use wifi?

5. If I have a photo that's exactly 3x the screen res of the iPhone and I sync using iTunes... I'm assuming it won't scale the image down to fit the screen of the iPhone otherwise it'd be pointless zooming in as you'd lose quality.

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions... :)

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Depends on the quality.. you should be able to get 5 episodes that small.

I believe it does it automatically (never tried TBH).

If it's locked it appears as a little window over the lock screen. If it's not locked it doesn't seem to, you just get a number over the SMS app.

Yes. iPhone is actually pretty clever at this, although public wifi hotspots that require login via a web page are not automatic unless you use something like devicescape.

IIRC it rescales images to the iphone screen... I remember someone who had hires pictures of maps complaining about it a while back.

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry but that's PATHETIC. Ffs Apple, yet another negative aspect of the iPhone that's putting me off buying one. How difficult would it be for Apple to include a little 'Optimize photos' check box in iTunes?

FFS, what's the point of zooming into a blurred section of the photo exactly????

Rubbish beyond belief.

Cheers for the answers though.

4. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone clarify the slideshow point please?

5. Macgic macrumors 6502

ya it does.

6. snook911 macrumors 6502a

In my experiance with converting if you want the same quality as the original the file size will stay about the same. If you willing to sacrafice some video quality I'd say you could get about 4 episodes in 1GB of space. Coverting it down to 200 MB per episode is pushing it. IMHO.

As for question # 3 when someone send's you a newtext message a small box appears and alerts you have a new text message. It also shows the first few lines of the message and asks you if you want to view now or dismiss.

7. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a