Approximate Difference in rMBP Processors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marauder2, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Marauder2 macrumors newbie

I'm a PC user but with the recent Mac OS update and the new Macbook Pros, I'm almost certainly getting a 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2013).

A step up from the base, I'm looking at the 8GB ram and 256GB SSD, and although I wanted the i7, I figured the upgraded i5 would be good. They are starting to pop up in the refurbished store and am wondering how the base i5 compares to the upgraded ones in case a base i5, 8GB and 256GB pops up.

Basically, how is (any experience with) base i5 2.4 GHz vs upgraded i5 2.6 GHz?

2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Will you be earning money based on how fast your computer runs? If so, upgrade the processor. Otherwise, save your money. You'll never notice a 0.2 GHz clock difference.

The base CPU + 8 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD configuration is the best bang for your buck on either the 13.3" or 15.4" rMBP.

3. Marauder2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I am a university student with 1-2 years left, looking to replace my old HP. My HP has been doing pretty well once I upgraded the RAM to 4GB for the things I do such as Matlab, some coding but not often, Word and other every day stuff. This won't change much and based on how decently my HP handles it, I am thinking even the base i5 would suffice.

4. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Think seriously about whether 256gb is enough storage.

5. Marauder2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually only have a 230GB on my HP and I've never had problems. Have a 750GB portable hard drive and a 3TB MBL and tons of cloud storage.

6. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Good!