Apps 2.0/3G iPhone = BB "Status Symbol" Killer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilnyc, Jul 18, 2008.

1. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

The BB as I view it symbolizes a business status. I used to view us iPhone-natics as tech enthusiasts with the latest toy on the block. I'll never forget a BB user saying to me last year when the iPhone was new, "I have BUSINESS to conduct" in reference to the iPhone's lack of push email. He wanted to let me know that the BB was still the superior phone.

However, now, the iPhone's 2.0 apps and Enterprise provides key elements that BBs are useful for like push email and corporate communication integration.

NOW when I see an iPhone user, I can't tell if it's a gadget enthusiast or business user. The line's blurred.

What does an iPhone user symbolize to you? Does it make the same statement as a BB now? Is the line blurred?

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Let me look around next time I get on a 6am flight where it's ALL business folks.

3. Wailord macrumors 6502

I think of someone that bought into the hype and wanted to be cool.
    Needless to say, I've been waking up early every day since Friday to get one. :eek:

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

When I see blackberrys I think they have it because they are "business" people. When kids have the blackberry (which is rare) , I'm just like oh.

When I see an iPhone I think of an exclusive group of people who chose the best phone out whether it be for the cool ease of use or the apple fanboy/girl in them. When I meet someone with an iPhone we sometimes have a conversation , because idk, it's just THAT gadget.

5. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

I have both --- the BB is my business phone and the iPhone is my personal. Something to be said for typing on a physical keyboard. That and dont expect every company to jump at pushing your work mail to an iPhone when they give out BBs.

6. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

iPhone user to me = Someone who wants;
    The convince of a PC in their palm
    The piece of mind a cell phone gives them
    The ability to entertain them selves with out carrying around multiple devices.
    A touch of Apple hipster/elitism :p

NO, it does not make the same statement of a BB.

The line may be starting to blur, but has a LONG time to go.

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Until a lot of business users can actually get hold of them...nothing will change...as of right now plenty of people are having difficulty getting ahold of them.

My dad has been working on setting up 27 new BB's for the maintenance division at FermiLab. He now carries a BB, iPhone Original (sometime soon a new iPhone), and pager on his hip. When they get fully converted to the BB's he'll ditch the pager.

Yeah...he agrees....he's waaay too connected.

8. onesixeight macrumors member

I used both a BlackBerry 8830 (Business) and an iPhone (Personal) on a daily basis.

While 2.0 supports our Exchange corporate email, the iPhone still falls short in terms of email. Yes the iPhone supports HTML and makes the emails look beautiful, but for someone who replies to almost a thousand emails a day, the BlackBerry is still king.

Observing the people that have made the switch in the last week, they are mostly the folks who don't have a massive amount of emails and mainly use Exchange to read emails (not so much replying), and wants to have their calendar sync with the office.

The BlackBerry will still be the corporate king. If you asked me for one reason why, the lack of a physical keyboard is the limiting factor. :)

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pfft, Blackberries and emails are so passé.

It's so funny seeing big important business folks checking their email all the time. Everyone knows instant messaging, SMS and social networking are the way of the future - not email, it's so old and kludgy and old.

10. schatzie macrumors member

I've always wanted an iPhone because it's such a beautiful phone and I am of course a gadget enthusiast. Two reasons why I didn't get the first iPhone last year were: 1) tried out the virtual keyboard at the store (I know not enough time) and didn't like it. Thought I needed a real keyboard. 2) No push email from my company's Exchange Server.

This time around, many people told me that I'd get used to the keyboard in no time, which is absolutely true. Love it now. And also, I can get push emails for my job. So I guess I'm both, gadget lover and business. I know the email is still not as good as it is on the BB, it's not that big of a deal to me.

11. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Keep in mind most businesses/corps will provide a Blackberry to their employees to keep in contact with work and work e-mail and business related items.

You can't say a business has a preference when the device was given him to use. Blackberry's given out at a certain level where I work, given I would prefer to have an iPhone over a Blackberry, if my job gives me a Blackberry (they pay the bill) i'm dropping my iPhone and cancelling the service in a heartbeat. I'd rather save $80 a month than pay for it.

12. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Once Iphones penetrate more into the business market in the next few months...but this time next year...businesses will be issuing iphones...can the blackberry connect to a company VPN? Can it remote to a web site and do configuration?

blackberrys are good for email...thats about it...plus they are ugly phones...

Iphones will rule in about a year or two.

Plug the iphone has much more memory and a better OS...we just got to get apple to give us what we want in features. We need to start constuctive threads on what we want added.

Plus the Iphone apps and app store kill pretty much anything BB can do..

13. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I wanted an iPhone since the first one was announced last year. It's definitely not business. It's not even strictly gadget enthusiasm (although there is some of that going on). Number one reason I want/have an iPhone: I'm an Internet junkie, and an iPhone is the Internet in my pocket (or purse, actually).

14. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Apple's always been considered toys instead of serious computing devices. I don't think that will ever change.