Apps and Accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I would like to make a guide as I set up my new rMBP.

If I download applications like Open Office and SnagIt into my sole Admin account, then later when I create a regular user account, will I be able to use OO and SnagIt?

(On my cMBP, I just downloaded everything as my regular user, but since I want to do screenshots of the entire set up process, it makes more sense now to download those two apps into my Admin account.)

Thoughts?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

If they are installed in /Applications (i.e. Macintosh HD → Applications), then any other user can access them. Most Mac applications store their settings and other user-related data in the user directory. That will of course be unavailable to you on another account.

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

So it sounds like it is okay to install OO and SnagIt in my Admin account so I can start taking screenshots of that account, and then when I create my Regular User I will also have access to OO and SnagIt, but just have to set the preferences again for that second account, right?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I would add any program that has the option for only the current user will ask you if that is the option you want or system wide all user install. I think it was DefaultFolderX and iStat Menus as well, possibly others to but if they did I have no recall of it happening now.