Apps and Email Accounts whose notifications stop working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stocklen, Jan 20, 2016.

1. stocklen macrumors member

Something has been bugging me for a while on my iPhone.

It started sometime ago when using my 6, and has continued into the 6S.

A number of apps, which normally produce notifications, are no longer doing so. I still get 'messages, events etc' within the app, but there is no external indication anymore, and you have to keep opening the app to check for messages.

Also, I have a couple of email accounts active on my iPhone (both iCloud accounts - push emails). One of them works correctly - the other will make the 'message arrived' sound, but no visible notification at all - it is only visible when entering the app.

Now, I can only assume that something, somewhere has been corrupted perhaps when performing a restore at some point in the past - but I'm trying to avoid the obvious 'wipe the phone and set up as new' solution. The problem I have with that is losing a ton of app settings, and game progress etc.

Firstly, of course, for each app, and email account thats causing a problem I have carefully checked the notification settings - all OK there. Toggled it on / off...
    For the email problem, I have of course tried to remove the account and add it back in - but no success it still behaves the same.
    For the apps that no longer notify... I have tried removing them and reinstalling them.... still no luck there.

I know I'm really going to have to wipe and start again - but any last ditch suggestions?

Thanks

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

As to the Mail accounts are the settings for them identical in Settings>Notifications>Mail>themailaccount?

Have the apps giving you issues been updated by the developer recently?

Also, somewhere in an app's own settings could be notification settings (as it is with Twitter which for me, in the past, would decide not to give me notifications).

3. colburnr macrumors regular

I have had the same issue...It's frustrating, because I don't want to wipe my phone for the same reason's you mentioned.

4. stocklen thread starter macrumors member

Hi Brian

Yes, settings are identical for the mail accounts in question.

Apps, like most seem to be updated with alarming regularity!... I couldnt say for certain however the ones in question have been updated at least a couple of times in the last year or so.... so i hope thats not the issue there.

And yes, some apps are a bit pesky and hide away settings left-right-and centre. I have looked closely in the apps themselves, and in settings on the iPhone and also in notifications - I have covered all bases there - no other settings available.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you restore iOS you're going to have to make sure your photos and any other iPhone-only stuff is saved/backed up, install and set up all apps and settings from scratch and not restore from a backup, which I suppose you know hence your post.

6. stocklen thread starter macrumors member

Well, thats actually good to know!

I would say that the only solution seems that wipe... and when i have asked a genius, they all just go to that as a solution and call the backup 'corrupted'. There seems to be no comeback from that I guess....

I suppose, sometime i will bite the bullet but as I say I have so many apps with user accounts, logins, credentials, etc

It all feels a bit like the bad old days, when I used to be a Windows user.. and you used to have to routinely wipe and re-install the PC to speed things up a couple to times a year. Its a bit disappointing that the iPhone has gone that way now and its getting a bit wobbly sometimes and a wipe is the only solution.

7. colburnr macrumors regular

Agreed...I figure when I get the iPhone 7 in September, I will set up as new then. It is frustrating though...

8. bbirkhahn macrumors newbie

bbirkhahn

I have this issue only with Facebook Messenger and it drives me crazy!

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have all of my main mail forwarded to iCloud so that I receive
    Push notifications. Sometimes I need to restart my phone to receive push mail. Unsure why and it's been an issue for ages.

10. stocklen thread starter macrumors member

This is exactly the issue which is annoying me too...

... just a random app or two (or more) who normally notify through notification centre... suddenly no longer do so.

Nothing wrong with the app, still gets it messages, it just refuses to tell the outside world (well, the phone) that its done so.

And this always used to work.....!

p.s. I still haven't relented and done the wipe and set up as a new phone.... but its inevitable. Theres no point taking it to a genius as they will just make me do that anyway.

Does anyone know whether game progress is saved via game centre? For example if i did wipe and re-install angry birds (as an example) - would my progress be saved once i re-installed the app having not restored from a backup?