Apps and stored data

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Nofroyo, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Nofroyo macrumors newbie

Hello

Its my understanding that osx apps are self contained with all files located in the root directory of the app itself.

My question is i am aware some apps use different directory's to store data and preferences, application data and all that fun stuff. If this the case where would these said files be stored?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yes.

Large apps like Microsoft office suite, Adobe software series, they often have app data stored at somewhere else, rather than app folder.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

~/Library/Application Support/ You can get to that via Go > Go to Folder since the user Library folder is hidden is hidden.

Note that's not the same as the Macintosh HD system Library folder.

4. Nofroyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other areas it might be stored at

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Why not tell us which app(s) you are interested/concerned about, you might get better answers and help?

6. Nofroyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Kronos app, it talks to a server.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

8. Nofroyo thread starter macrumors newbie

No its a corporate issued app
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2016 ---
    its a company app

9. NoBoMac, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Only Kronos I see seems to be cloud based, so, nothing to uninstall and would not keep any data around other than possibly browser cache. Clear cache and cookies using the browser of choice's toolbar/preferences.

Can go rooting around filesystem for guessing, things named beginning with com.kronos or Kronos or kronos. But would warn against: unless know what is being deleted can be deleted and or have a backup that can restore from (if wrong thing deleted by mistake), just not worth it.

Nuclear option: boot into rcovery, wipe the OS partition, re-install OS. Again, need a backup to restore personal data from, and might need to re-install apps (read: anything that does not have simple drag and drop install process [eg. Office, Parallels/VMware/VirtualBox, Flash, Java]).