Apps are crashing, iBook not waking from sleep, kernel panics...please help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ev01ut10ndt, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ev01ut10ndt macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'd never thought that I'd say this about my 12 inch iBook 1.33ghz w/ 1gb of memory....its running like a PC running windows 98. Now thats BAD...

I'm currently using 10.5.1 with all the updates, all software up to date.

Problems:
    -My iBook can't restart properly (it says a program is open even though the activity monitor and the dock says its not open)
    -it can't wake up from sleep properly (i hear the dvd drive and then nothing shows up on the screen...non responsive to anything...i know its on because headphone jack is working when you unplug headphones, it makes a buzzing noise as usual)
    -random apps are crashing left and right (iphoto, camino, and preview in particular)
    -I've gotten a couple kernel panics...3 of them this past week and lost all my work

Ironically I think that its the updates after Macworld that is slowly killing my computer. I never noticed these things until I updated Front Row, Quicktime, and iTunes after Macworld. Maybe its something else...

I hope that you guys can help me out on this...if I were on a PC, I would do a system restore. I tried using time machine and getting the 3 softwares back to the old version, but it didn't work. I'm getting all annoyed at my mac...which I absolutely hate to say... Please help!!?!?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of install did you do for Leopard? Did you perform a regular upgrade, an archive or a full reformat?

3. ev01ut10ndt thread starter macrumors newbie

Originally it was a clean install, then I had problems with iphoto not working. Spent 3 hours on the phone with apple and after a lot of tinkering, we ended up doing an archive and install. So the install is as clean as it gets.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It sounds like a hardware issue then. Does Console show anything in the crash logs regarding the panics? Are you using any third party components, such as RAM? :)

5. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Have you run the Apple Hardware Diagnostics on it to rule out the possibility of hardware failure (could be bad RAM, or the hard disk could be slowly dying for example, which could cause a lot of these symptoms).

6. ev01ut10ndt thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the Apple Hardware Test and it passed. Some how I fixed it...I reinstalled itunes, quicktime, and front row, and did a repair permissions. So far so good...

But I'm still wondering what caused all this. How do I look up the logs on Console? I'm looking through them and see the ones that camino made, but none about the kernel panics (or at least I don't know where exactly to look). Btw, thanks a lot for the help.