Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Generik777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
So I have the latest version of the Amazon app on my iPhone 6 which is listed in the App Store as an app that uses Touch ID. However the app never prompts me to use it, nor is their an option anywhere to enable it. I even signed out and back in and made purchases, still just uses a password like always.

Also the weather channel app is listed in the App Store as an app that supports Notification Center widgets. But again I have the latest version and see no option to enable or use it. Even when I go to the "edit" section in Notification Center. Other apps are listed but not weather channel.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what I'm doing wrong?

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Yes, I experienced the same Touch ID issues you described and I thought it was just me. The apps featured in the App Store never request and cannot be set to use Touch ID that I can find. The only app that I have found that works is Mint.

Generik777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Yes, I experienced the same Touch ID issues you described and I thought it was just me. The apps featured in the App Store never request and cannot be set to use Touch ID that I can find. The only app that I have found that works is Mint.

I haven't found a single one that works for me.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I can't get the Amazon app to work either nor have I found any settings to enable it. I'm guessing later on we'll see apps take advantage of this feature.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
1Password works; I haven't tried any others.

Yeah, it seems to work right. I have mine set for passcode every 30 days, require Touch ID within two minutes. I had been using another password app system, but I may switch to this since it's Touch ID-friendly. I just handed down my 5S to my mom, so this might be quite handy. I cannot get my parents to remember a decent password. I can barely get them to remember a four-digit passcode.

Banks need to be on this ASAP. I'm not holding my breath over my credit union implementing this soon because the app design is still on pre-iOS 7. But the big banks should really make this a key feature in their apps.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
So I have the latest version of the Amazon app on my iPhone 6 which is listed in the App Store as an app that uses Touch ID. However the app never prompts me to use it, nor is their an option anywhere to enable it. I even signed out and back in and made purchases, still just uses a password like always.

Also the weather channel app is listed in the App Store as an app that supports Notification Center widgets. But again I have the latest version and see no option to enable or use it. Even when I go to the "edit" section in Notification Center. Other apps are listed but not weather channel.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what I'm doing wrong?

The Weather Channel provides the official iOS 8 weather widget even without the app installed.

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
My Amazon app works every time. I have made a few purchases and it always asks for my fingerprint. I never did anything, it automatically started asking me after updating to iOS 8.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
So far Mint and Discover have the best implementations so far. 1Password works but need to add an option to never require master password unless the device has been restarted.

I'm also really pissed off Evernote requires a premium account to use TouchID.

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
FL
Works great with Mint which I use quite often. I'd like to see the ability to turn it on for native apps like Photos and Notes so when I hand my phone off to someone they can't peruse

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
So far Mint and Discover have the best implementations so far. 1Password works but need to add an option to never require master password unless the device has been restarted.

I'm also really pissed off Evernote requires a premium account to use TouchID.

for ipassword you can bypass by adding the master password to the keychain

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Amazon app prompts for Touch ID when you're doing checkout, it does not let you sign-in to your account with Touch ID though. It works for checkout only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.