Apps aren't using Touch ID like they are supposed to.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Generik777, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

So I have the latest version of the Amazon app on my iPhone 6 which is listed in the App Store as an app that uses Touch ID. However the app never prompts me to use it, nor is their an option anywhere to enable it. I even signed out and back in and made purchases, still just uses a password like always.

Also the weather channel app is listed in the App Store as an app that supports Notification Center widgets. But again I have the latest version and see no option to enable or use it. Even when I go to the "edit" section in Notification Center. Other apps are listed but not weather channel.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what I'm doing wrong?

2. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Yes, I experienced the same Touch ID issues you described and I thought it was just me. The apps featured in the App Store never request and cannot be set to use Touch ID that I can find. The only app that I have found that works is Mint.

3. Generik777 thread starter macrumors regular

Generik777

I haven't found a single one that works for me.

4. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

5. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I can't get the Amazon app to work either nor have I found any settings to enable it. I'm guessing later on we'll see apps take advantage of this feature.

6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I use the Panera app all the time for rapid pickup orders. Works like a charm. Have yet to have Touch ID not work with it.

7. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Alot of apps still need to be updated for it , thats coming though

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yeah, it seems to work right. I have mine set for passcode every 30 days, require Touch ID within two minutes. I had been using another password app system, but I may switch to this since it's Touch ID-friendly. I just handed down my 5S to my mom, so this might be quite handy. I cannot get my parents to remember a decent password. I can barely get them to remember a four-digit passcode.

Banks need to be on this ASAP. I'm not holding my breath over my credit union implementing this soon because the app design is still on pre-iOS 7. But the big banks should really make this a key feature in their apps.

9. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

The Weather Channel provides the official iOS 8 weather widget even without the app installed.

10. Zxxv Suspended

11. kiantech macrumors regular

The Amazon one showed up for me when I did a checkout with an item in my cart.

12. Generik777 thread starter macrumors regular

Generik777

Oh yeah your right, i completely overlooked that.

13. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

My Amazon app works every time. I have made a few purchases and it always asks for my fingerprint. I never did anything, it automatically started asking me after updating to iOS 8.

14. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

So far Mint and Discover have the best implementations so far. 1Password works but need to add an option to never require master password unless the device has been restarted.

I'm also really pissed off Evernote requires a premium account to use TouchID.

15. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

16. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Discover Mobile and Day One work fine for me. Haven't tried Amazon yet.

17. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

Works great with Mint which I use quite often. I'd like to see the ability to turn it on for native apps like Photos and Notes so when I hand my phone off to someone they can't peruse

18. pugnut macrumors 6502a

for ipassword you can bypass by adding the master password to the keychain

19. dojoman macrumors 65816

Amazon app prompts for Touch ID when you're doing checkout, it does not let you sign-in to your account with Touch ID though. It works for checkout only.

20. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

LastPass lets you use TouchID when auto completing logins on Safari. Works great.