Apps Automatically Get Backgrounded / Unselected

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TekNullOG, Aug 31, 2011.

1. TekNullOG, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

TekNullOG macrumors newbie

Since I upgraded to Lion, apps continuously get "unselected" or "backgrounded". So I am looking for some help on this topic.

I will be typing and suddenly the window is unselected and I am typing into nothing. (has already happened once since I started this message) So I need to reselect the window to keep typing. (2nd time, now since start of message)

It is not a matter of accidentally touching the mouse pad because you need to physically click it to select things.

To test things out, I run 1 application at a time to see if there is one in particular causing this but it happens to all! (Safari, Chrome, Word, Skype, etc.)... Oh, it just happen for the 3rd time.

It is annoying because it prevents me from running apps in full screen since. (4th time) Apps exit full screen automatically when this happens. (5th time)

I am seriously going crazy and would appreciate any help on how to resolve this.
    Thanks in advance! (6th time)

Cheers

2. TekNullOG thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump... sorry to bump this.

I could really use some help.

3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

What are the details of your system? RAM? Model?

4. TekNullOG thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Book Pro 15-inch, Mid 2009
    Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB & NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

I had no problems before upgrading to Lion. Snow Leopard worked great!

5. TekNullOG thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump
    I'm still looking for help. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

6. TekNullOG thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I would share the cause of the problem. For some reason it was happening every 30 seconds this evening so I closed every process one by one running in the background.

Although I had thought of turning off Growl, there is a Growl Helper process that runs in the background. This somehow was not always properly working and whenever I was suppose to see an alert, it would just background / unselect whatever application I had open.

It turns out that growl 1.2.2 isn't really compatible with Lion. You need to upgrade to 1.3. Unfortunately, the sad thing is that you have to pay for it now. :(

Anyways, I hope this helps someone else. It drove me crazy for long enough.

Cheers

7. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've never had to pay for growl. I have the latest version.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Growl 1.3 is only on the App Store for $1.99.

Interestingly, I have 1.2.2 and I have not come across the OP's problem. Works fine in Lion for me.