Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I just noticed that. On my iPad (iOS 14.8.1). Maybe it's something that has been fixed in more recent updates?

I have not given Shazam the permission to use my microphone, and yet, when I use it through Control Center, it can perfectly use the microphone and recognise any song. When I try to use it in the app, it tells me it needs the permission to use the mic.

How is that possible?

I noticed the same thing with another app, that could read the photos in my camera roll, although the permission for that wasn't given in the settings: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-roll-although-permission-isnt-given.2368713/

Does my iPad perhaps has some kind of malware or virus?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I just noticed that. On my iPad (iOS 14.8.1). Maybe it's something that has been fixed in more recent updates?

I have not given Shazam the permission to use my microphone, and yet, when I use it through Control Center, it can perfectly use the microphone and recognise any song. When I try to use it in the app, it tells me it needs the permission to use the mic.

How is that possible?

I noticed the same thing with another app, that could read the photos in my camera roll, although the permission for that wasn't given in the settings: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-roll-although-permission-isnt-given.2368713/

I suspect that control center is using some sort of system process to pick up the audio. Apple bought Shazam, so some of the music identification might be in the operating system. I think it’s treating the app as a separate entity. I am not an iOS programmer, so that is just my guess.

I don’t know about the camera issue though

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I suspect that control center is using some sort of system process to pick up the audio. Apple bought Shazam, so some of the music identification might be in the operating system. I think it’s treating the app as a separate entity. I am not an iOS programmer, so that is just my guess.

I don't think it's a Shazam thing but it's an iOS bug. I believe apps accidentally circumvent these privacy settings, but this should actually be scandalous.

Reactions: Delivered

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010

How is that possible?

Shazam from the control center is part of the OS (Apple owns Shazam), so it does not request permission.

The app is separate and operates like other apps. If you delete the app, Shazam from the control center should still work.

Reactions: addamas

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don't think it's a Shazam thing but it's an iOS bug. I believe apps accidentally circumvent these privacy settings, but this should actually be scandalous.
It might be a bug but I'd hardly call it scandalous. I was thinking it's using a system process since launching music identification in control center doesn't launch Shazam.

If you want scandalous go check the microphone permissions for the built in Messages and Phone apps... There are none. Apple is accessing your microphone without even bothering to ask. Alert the news media!

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022

How is that possible?

This is getting ridiculous. Every time apple makes a thing about privacy we discover that this thing doesn’t do what we think it does and in many cases it’s just a façade. If apple really is interested in privacy they need to be more competent at it. If they’re playing us for fools well I hope it backfires a lot of us switched to iPhones and iOS for things like perceived privacy benefits that apparently weren’t real.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
This is getting ridiculous. Every time apple makes a thing about privacy we discover that this thing doesn’t do what we think it does and in many cases it’s just a façade. If apple really is interested in privacy they need to be more competent at it. If they’re playing us for fools well I hope it backfires a lot of us switched to iPhones and iOS for things like perceived privacy benefits that apparently weren’t real.

They've shown a few times that it's just marketing sadly.

Then again it may be a bug, it's a pretty old iOS version and it may not work on newer versions anymore. That would be good news at least.

Shazam may be an Apple service but some of the other Apps have nothing to do with Apple and they are accessing photo albums and other stuff even though it says it can't in the settings. So those settings are just a facade it seems.

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
They've shown a few times that it's just marketing sadly.

Then again it may be a bug, it's a pretty old iOS version and it may not work on newer versions anymore. That would be good news at least.

Shazam may be an Apple service but some of the other Apps have nothing to do with Apple and they are accessing photo albums and other stuff even though it says it can't in the settings. So those settings are just a facade it seems.
Sadly I just tried it on the latest iPhone on the latest update and it’s still an issue. This is really discouraging. However if you go to the app it doesn’t work.

It is possible this is an issue with app clips?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Agreed. This is a service using the core iOS microphone API so it has priority access - much like any Apple first party apps & VoIP capable apps left i. The background don’t stop running after 10mins if not resumed.

But this is compartmentalized : 1st priority apps that is.

Definitely not a bug.

What I find IS a big is a few apps such as iOS’ Translate App by Apple has the ability to use the microphone within the app for voice translation BUT has no ability to run in the background - using the Mic as there is no listing of it within Background App refresh.

Reactions: russell_314

karlcrazyman

Suspended
Apr 21, 2023
Frisco, TX

How is that possible?

It is unlikely that your iPad has malware or a virus. This issue could be due to a bug or glitch in the operating system or the app itself. It is always a good idea to keep your device updated with the latest software to ensure any known issues are resolved. You can also try resetting the app permissions for both Shazam and the other app in question and see if that resolves the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.