Apps can't connect to the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peteypan, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Peteypan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got a new 2.2 macbook (my first mac!).

It's brilliant. Such a step up from my old computer.

I really like OSX (although I would have preferred to have tiger as leopard seems a bit buggy at the moment, and setting it up for web development is a hassle).

I am, however, having a few teething problems with th new OS, one of those being that my applications (system update, itunes etc.) don't appear to be able to connect to the internet over my airport.

They work fine on a wired connection (which I have at work), but not on wireless at home.

I would think this had something to do with my peculiar network set up (my old PC connects to the internet using a 3g modem and the macbook is connected to the PC via an ad hoc wireless network) but I have the same problem using the wireless networks at my uni.

How is the ethernet connection different to the airport connection? where can i fix this?

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Peter

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Does that include your browser, (i.e. Safari?)

Can you connect to a wireless network at all?

3. Peteypan thread starter macrumors newbie

I can connect to the internet.

I'm using Firefox on my macbook just now. Adium also works.

iTunes can't connect to the store, System Update can't connect to the update server. It asks me to perform network diagnostics but they report I' connected fine.

wait... fixed it. I messed up my proxies when i was setting up for my university's wireless network.

Thanks for the quick reply Much ado, It was answering your question that helped me fix it.

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado