App's causing hard resets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

So anyone else getting hard resets caused by certain app's? I have had about 6 since the introduction of 2.0 and all seemed to be caused by 3rd party programs. You?

2. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

something similar happens when I open the mlb.com app

3. DaPhatty macrumors member

Yea, I've had this happen a few times since I began downloading apps. I can't say I'm surprised. I only expect Apple apps to be near perfect.

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Are you kidding? I've had about 2 hard resets A DAY since the 11th, but I'm not so sure it's JUST the new apps. I'm pretty sure it's happened opening Apple apps too, which would mean it could be a 2.0 problem.

Apps have been fun and all, but 2.0 has been such an amazingly frustrating experience, with bugs galore. I'm almost longing for pre-2.0 days....

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah I get lots of them too.
    And there's always that half-second where I think "omg it's not gunna come back on....."

6. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have had Safari and Mail crash a little more often then they did in 1.1.4 but have not had an Apple app cause a hard reset. I think there are some poorly designed app's causing this. Cro-mag, PangeaVR, Bubbles (for my infant), and Facebook have all done it for me. Hope they get this stuff worked out soon.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

MochaVNC caused a hard reset last night which was a bit of a shock. Safari crashed on me about 3 times yesterday too. Which was a bit irritating.

8. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

aurora feint caused a hard reset last night, shazam caused one, and one of the free flashlight apps cause one. that's the only three i've had so far.

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Besides Safari and Mail crashing a lot for me too, the other Apple app that crashes about 50% of the time(!) is..... "Settings," of all things! Settings crashes more than 3rd party apps, and I can't understand why. (Oh, and I think I've gotten a few Maps and App Store crashes too, now that I think of it).

10. Macrimonious macrumors member

I've gotten App Store crashes, it seems, downloading Apps from the App Store causes some problems on a weak Wi-Fi signal, also, I just got a crash setting my Voicemail greeting, and I've got a handful of other crashes...not terribly pleased with stability so far.

11. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I expect all apps to be perfect and not crash my iPhone.
    That is one of the main reasons Apple said all apps need to go through them via AppStore.

Makes me wonder if Apple does ANY testing at all on the apps going through app store... or maybe the only check they do is a credit check to make sure the developers' checks to them don't bounce.

12. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Ironically enough the apps I used when my phone was jailbroken were much more stable and none of those developers had a SDK to go off of. It's one thing to have a crash here and there, but I've had 2 hard resets and probably about 15 app crashes so far. Did a restore and reinstalled apps too...no difference. Not impressed :rolleyes:

13. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I have to agree.

I've had near on 2 hard rests a day, also.

It's not the apps, it's definitely 2.0.

I've had the action of launching Apple's Remote application send me into a hard reset.
    Surely, by now, Apple know this is happening with 2.0?

Has anyone ever touched 'Settings' using 2.0, and no actual settings have materialised?

Where is 2.0.1?

R-Fly

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yea I get same thought all the time. The "oh no, it's really messed up this time"

15. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

YES! I just get the blank grey lined background, with nothing on it! It's happened maybe 3-4 times now. Pushing the home button doesn't get me out of it, so I have to do a hard reset every time. SO annoying.

16. honeytoast macrumors regular

iPhone firmware 2.0 has been a complete mess. I have restored by 1st gen iPhone 6 times since the Friday that it came out. Apps will restart the phone upon launch, settings app doesn't work. Sometimes apps downloaded on the iPhone app store never install and upon a restart the phone will never boot back up. This is quite possibly the worst piece of software Apple has ever released and I would have gladly taken a delay over all these problems and bad PR Apple has caused.

Can't wait for iPhone firmware 2.0.1.

17. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes, it's VERY annoying, especially considering the device was £160.

R-Fly

18. honeytoast macrumors regular

Please send feedback to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Here are some of the issues I have been having since upgrading to iPhone Firmware 2.0.

-Backup takes forever and sometimes never completes the process
    -Apps cause iPhone to reboot
    -Apps crash back to home screen
    -Entire UI sluggish at times for no apparent reason
    -Apps never finish installing and restarting phone send it into never ending reboot forcing me to completely restore my phone (currently up to 6 full restores)
    -Appstore sometime doesn't load properly
    -System Preferences opens and shows blank gray screen
    -Yahoo mail will not accept user/pass until I reset my password with yahoo.com (I have had to do this with each restore of the iPhone)
    -Videos play for a second then pause only to play at like 2x speed to catch up then eventually the iPod app crashes

19. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

same here. Anyone getting the slow keyboard???
    On SMS and email my keyboard can slow right down. Then a minute or two later it's fine????
    Maps is crashing and alot of other stuff! Very dissapointing.

20. Ademius macrumors regular

I don't know if I should be glad or frustrated that other people are experiencing this aswell, but I'm having the same problem. It has been doing these random instant reboots when I'm trying to launch an app. This is a serious stability issue. It feels like I'm running windows 98 or something.

How the hell can this have even passed alphatesting? :confused:
    This is unacceptable... I'm still even getting random Safari crashes. Why haven't this gotten prio over adding new features?