Apps controlling Dock/Blutooth Accessories: Oh the possibilities...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Donz0r, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I think that this feature is not being given the credit it deserves!
    Think of what it could mean...

Forget some crappy led flash, - attach a full on flash to the port
    Forget the crappy camera - shoot video using an accessory camera attached to the port

Any other ideas?

2. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I agree, this feature could mean huge things for consumers and companies who choose to use them. Just a few I thought of one for now, but I will add more later:

- My Alpine car stereo and ipod connector disable changing the music via my phone, this SDK API would allow them to create an app for me to do that in.
    - This alone would make my world, and I would imagine others as well.

- Better integration of iPhone's phone.app with car dialing systems, such as Toyota Prius's as well as Alpine and others' car stereo/phone set ups.

3. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

4. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So you're proposing a bluetooth app for radio and tvs? I like it, but do TVs process the bluetooth capabilities that would be necessary?

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

There are restrictions with this. Any accessory has to be part of the "Made For iPod" program to work with the framework. This is going to limit the devices that will be available.

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Why does this remind me on the GameBoy Camera?

7. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I didn't realize this, do you have a link or quote of this from somewhere? It makes sense, although I don't think that will stop tons of people from doing it. It still makes sense for Alpine (who already is a made for iPhone dealer) to do it along with others.

8. Tres macrumors regular

That would be awesome.

I think that with these new capabilities we're going to start seeing a whole ton of old devices that are going to be remade to interface with the iPhone/iPod touch in smart new ways. It should be an interesting few years.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's in the 3.0 docs for developers. If you have access to the developer portal you can read it. There's a few dev forums where people aren't happy about it and trying to find ways around it, if any, just for testing purposes. I guess people were surprised because Apple didn't mention it at the event, just in the documentation.