Apps crashing? Free up some memory by force quitting.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Super Monkey Ball crashes to the home screen immediately after the splash screen, unless I reboot the phone, nearly every time I try to play it. Rebooting the phone just to play a game is of course tedious.

I discovered something interesting today. Super Monkey crashed as usual. Instead of rebooting the phone, I opened the iPod and force quit it (hold home button until it closes). Super Monkey then opened, and got as far as the Sega screen, then crashed. It didn't go as far as the Sega screen previously. Then I opened and force quit Safari. Super Monkey then opened up completely and I was ready to play.

Seems pretty obvi that there's some memory allocation issues at work here. That would also explain laggy typing in certain apps (lag in SMS goes away when I force quit SMS).

The bright side of this is that it shouldn't be a huge deal for Apple to patch it up toot sweet.

Ok Apple, we're ready for 2.01. Bring it.

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

and this is why other mobile operating systems have task managers. genius.

3. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

True, but the average user should never have to deal with that on a mobile device. The OS should handle and allocate memory automatically, which is what Apple is trying to do. Obviously there are a few bugs which is why there is the upcoming 2.0.1 update.

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

holy wow. was that the only app you had running? :eek:

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Good catch. I was just having the same issue on another game. Force quit out of ipod that I had launched and listened to some yesterday and I no longer have the game crash on launch.

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yea and OS X on my MBP should handle and allocate memory automatically too but it still has a task manager. its just nice to be able to have that control for more tech savvy users.

7. Archie- macrumors regular

"This is nuts." Huge applause for that one.

Oh how they laughed.

[​IMG]

8. bentonm macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue but...

I had a similar issue with apps crashing, however it was AOL. It was one of the first ones I installed. I found that completely deleting it from my MAC and iPhone, and re-installing corrected the issue... I hope this helps..

9. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i cant seem to get SMB to stay open for more than 30-45 minutes

10. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

I've been having the same issues with more than just SMB. Perhaps this was why Apple was hesitant about allowing 3rd party apps.

11. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

priceless