Apps cross-carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Interstella5555, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So, just for the lolz, I decide to pick up a Verizon iPhone next month. Will my current "AT&T" apps work on the phone, or does everything need to be recoded?

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You mean iPhone apps that were written specifically by AT&T like for looking at your balance, etc.?

That's an interesting question, but I'm not sure why you would want to use them. I don't know.

But as far as apps generally, although I have not explicitly read this, I am going to jump out on a limb and say yes they will all work like they do on carriers across the world.

Kinda O/T: I do think Apple and Verizon could have put a little more info out though. It seems like a very non-fanfare announcement. I'd like to see the announcement made from Jobs with him giving it context. Like he would have some one liner about how they never thought they would have a CDMA iPhone and how it's the big question people have been asking for five years and we finally have an answer . . .

I mean I guess there wasn't a lot to announce except for it being on a new carrier, but I guess I was still hoping for some more hoopla.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

As swingerofbirch said not sure why you would want to use ATT apps on your Verizon iPhone.

If you are talking about all other app that are not ATT apps then then have nothing to do with who the carrier is. IF you have an ATT iPhone 4, 3 or whatever just back it up, plug in your new Verizon iPhone and do a restore.

4. Interstella5555 thread starter macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, I guess I meant apps that I had downloaded on my AT&T iPhone, so can I transfer apps I have already downloaded onto the new phone. I don't think Mark the Spot would do me a lot of good on Verizon :)

5. Interstella5555 thread starter macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Was talking about the latter, thanks, just curious.

6. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I would say yes you can transfer apps (just like if you upgraded from a 3g/gs to a 4)

7. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

oh this is pure gold lol.

apps do not require having a specific carrier to allow them to work (unless of course they are specific AT&T apps).

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Should work with no problem. It's just like any other app that you need to login to. So if someone has a iPhone on Verizon they can probably use that ATT app to check an ATT number. There might be a rare occasion where someone switched to Verizon but their spouse or child is still on ATT.