Apps disappearing after jailbreak and restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by d0vr, Dec 28, 2011.

1. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I think I must of done something wrong. I went from 4.something (4.3.3 I think) to 5.0.1 because of the recent untethered jailbreak (thanks @pod2g). I followed this order:

- Backup 4.something in iTunes
    - Restore iPhone/upgrade to 5.0.1
    - Used redsn0w to jailbreak (seemed to be no problems)
    - Installed appSync (seemed to be a posix error among others here)

At this point, every app disappeared from the springboard except for one (not sure which it was sorry) but a restart brought them all back.

- Restored from iTunes backup

iTunes showed every app being downloaded to the phone in the status bar. SBSettings option to hide app icons lists every app there, and all apps with settings in the settings app are listed, but many apps are missing from the springboard, even after restarts. Including stock apps like contacts.

Hell, even the app store is showing updates available for apps not showing up on the springboard!

Also, contacts are missing from the phone app, but names show up in message app. I can even click the top bar to get to the top of a message thread, click contact and be taken to the contacts page. I can even add new details from there.

Just tried to restore from the backup again, and now cydia is gone as well. Anyone have any insight as to what on earth I did wrong? I'll probably just try from the beginning again tomorrow, but would really like to know what not to do again this time.

Latest iTunes
    OSX Snow Lepoard
    redsn0w 0.9.10b2
    iPhone 4

2. dknightd macrumors 6502

I suggest you ask on the forum associated with your jailbreak.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

4. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good suggestions, will try both thanks.

----------

Correction, didn't need to try either. I fixed it. For those who might get into a similar situation:

A second restore made all my apps show up once more, took me a second to find them on a new page this time (no I'm positive they weren't there first time, I checked).

If your contacts aren't showing up in the contacts section of the phone app, or the contacts app, but names show up in the messages app, just add a new contact, all you need is a first name. Then go back and they should all appear again. You can delete the new contact you just created.