Apps Don't Resume?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iLog.Genius, Jan 13, 2013.

1. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I thought this was fixed or improved as iOS progressed from the earlier builds/versions?

Running a game of Subway Surfer. Paused it and returned to home screen. 2 hours later I wanted to resume the game but it apparently shut down and started loading it again.

Is this the nature of iOS and how it handles "multitasking" or is something the app developer has to implement into the app? With the power of iOS devices now, I'd expect them to be able to "save a state" in the background for it to be resumed later.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Were you using the device in between? If the device runs out of free memory it will start using memory from where "background" applications have data saved.

3. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope. Just went to the home screen and left it. Aside from Subway Surfer, Safari, Settings and ESPN app were opened in the background.

(BTW, using iPad w/ Retina Display).

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I have noticed the same behavior lately and my usage pattern is no different than it's ever been. As an example, FIFA '12 hardly ever would reload, but FIFA '13 does it all the time. Now it could be that '13 uses more memory so there's not as much free memory available, but it's still annoying.

5. benfica88 macrumors regular

This is totally normal - happens because out of memory. You can monitor this with some memory apps in the app store.

6. Philscbx macrumors regular

Philscbx

One Example of game that always recalls last moment - Bejeweled2.
    It could be a week later - it knows. Regardless of device.
    Phone call interrupt etc.

7. benfica88 macrumors regular

Some games actually write memory state to continue - fifa 11 for example would resume your game but it was because developer had it save a state to the actual internal memory.

8. Bahroo macrumors 68000

9. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

So unless the developer actually writes a save state to memory, resuming is not guaranteed because of memory? That's understandable but at the same time, how effective is this "resume" feature Apple advertises if sometimes the iPad opens the stock apps? For example, you could close everything running in the background and later, they would all appear without the user having to open them. I'm assuming this takes up memory, but not sure how much.

Obviously nothing a user can do but I thought this was very interesting...

10. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

This is the way is suppose to be,after 9-10 minutes,most off the 3rd party apps shot down even if they are in "multitasking".Multitasking is actually just a "recent apps"bar cause you will never find a game that still runs after a day or even few hours or any other app but besides navigation and music apps,that will continue to run in background and drain your battery.Someone correct me if I am wrong.I saw a video on YouTube probably,snazzyiphoneguy.

11. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

[​IMG]