Apps for Academic Productivity

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by naomired, Nov 19, 2013.

1. naomired macrumors newbie

Complementing my other post on choosing the right iPad (or avoiding it) for academic use, I would like to seek your opinion on the Apps that can help in academic productivity.

The (academic) activities are:

i. managing article- and ebook- library on iPad [a file management similar to itunes for music]
    ii. preparing lectures notes and lecture slides
    iii. reading and annotating ebooks and pdf journal articles (with the capability to export the highlighted/annotated texts and comments)
    iv. taking notes while reading an article or book
    vi. idea generation/ideation / mind mapping
    vii. reading and marking MS Docs
    viii. Text editor - sophisticated, but without a steep learning curve

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Based on what you have posted:

Pages ( Word Processing and document production)
    Numbers ( spreadsheet and calculations )
    Keynote ( Presentation and slides

These are sold separately or in a bundle known as iWork...I think they have all you need to get going with the iPad.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

You will have to create content so I recommend iWork applications like above.
    You will have a lot of reading to do and will have a lot of PDF's for which I recommend PDF Expert or Documents.
    As for notetaking, get a rubber tip stylus and get notability.

4. rbarry macrumors newbie

For #'s iii, iv, vi and even vii, I use GoodNotes. GoodReader is a close second for PDF's, but GoodNotes will convert DOCs into PDFs for annotation, but not keep the same formatting, so I insist students submit papers in PDF format.

For #i, I would use DropBox, pulling the document into GoodNotes for reading/annotation. This allows you to sync with a folder on your main computer, and only bring in what you need (full-resolution PDFs of medieval manuscripts can quickly add-up and max out your iPad's memory).

For #ii, Keynote and for #viii, Pages.

There is probably a dedicated program for #vi, but I don't do that kind of mapping, so I cannot recommend anything in particular.

5. cez1 macrumors member

i) I use Sente both on my iPad and laptop/desktops and I can also share refs and notes with the students in my lab. It also acts as a citation manager like Endnote.

ii) I do not use my iPad for this, but if I did Pages and Keynote would be my choice.

iii and iv) see i.

vi) For mindmapping I use Mindnode on both iPad/iphone and laptop/desktops. I also use Notability as a basic note pad.

vii) This is currently evolving for me: I used to use notability, but with the new features added to Pages (track changes) I am contemplating switching.

viii) Pages - excellent iCloud sync and very compatible with MS Word.

Hope this helps!

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

i. managing article- and ebook- library on iPad [a file management similar to itunes for music]

For my research articles, I use Bookends. For ebooks, I use amazon or kobo.

ii. preparing lectures notes and lecture slides

Keynote.

iii. reading and annotating ebooks and pdf journal articles (with the capability to export the highlighted/annotated texts and comments)

I use GoodReader and iAnnotate.

iv. taking notes while reading an article or book

Evernote. But I mostly use my Air to take notes. I store these notes in Evernote and Circus Ponies Notebooks, which are synced to my iPad.

vi. idea generation/ideation / mind mapping

iThoughtsHD and OmniOutliner.

vii. reading and marking MS Docs

UX Writer.

viii. Text editor - sophisticated, but without a steep learning curve

Pages.

I have a blog on using iPad and mac for academic purposes here, where I've written about some of these apps.

7. naomired thread starter macrumors newbie