Apps for University

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Jamesd123, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Jamesd123 macrumors member

Hi

I have an Ipad 1, I start university on Wednesday, and I need some apps to use at University. I am not planning on taking notes or anything on my Ipad but would like some apps that could help me up keep up to date with hand in dates and stuff; I am doing an engineering course so maybe any apps which could help me with that.

Also are there any good CAD apps?

James

2. Ashwood11, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Calendar will help you keep track of your hand-in's.

3. CarletonTorpin macrumors member

iStudies Pro is a great app. There's a bit of a lengthy setup process but it only needs to be done once per semester so it's not too bad. Well worth the $3 and, bonus, it syncs across devices so you can access your calendar on the iPhone as well as the iPad.

4. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

5. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

In my first week of university the two apps I've used the most are PDF Expert and Noteshelf. The latter for freehand writing of notes and the former for viewing all sorts of document types and annotating PDFs. Noteshelf has good export capabilities and syncs with DropBox too.

6. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

I have downloaded iStudiez and like it, but I have been looking at other ways to use my iPad for uni and can't find any as I will be writing all my notes at Uni. I have all ready bought all the books I need. Is there anything I could use my iPad for?

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

I've started several threads you may be interested in reading. Click my name, click my statistics, and you will see a list of them. In short, there is a lot you can do with your iPad. Almost everything :)

8. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

Anybody else? the only use for my ipad at University is to check when hand in dates are.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Did you see the threads. Lots of people there getting use out of the iPad at university.

10. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

i sent you a PM

11. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

A stylus and note-taking app might be a useful supplement to the paper notes you plan to make. A PDF-annotation/reader app might also help, especially if you digitize your class notes or get electronic handouts. Search the threads here for plenty of discussion on these categories. I like Note Taker HD, but I'm still evaluating numerous others. I look for the ability to set the background to a grid and support for TV out.

DropBox to store files in the cloud. Perhaps a remote-desktop application such as LogMeIn Ignition. I also think the Apple productivity apps are very handy - Pages, KeyNote, etc.

For math and engineering, consider a good calculator such as PCalc. Not cheap but it is my workhorse. I also like the graphing app Quick Graph. There are also some good math formula reference apps, though I haven't found one that has "everything".

Good luck in your studies, and please share any useful apps you find!

12. Readdlemate Suspended

Readdlemate

Hi again,

This is a great topic guys.

We, at Readdle, have recently launched a new programme about PDF Expert in education. Essentially, we are trying to get the stories from our users about how they use PDF Expert while studying. Also, we want to spread the word about it, so if you are a teacher or a student, we would like to hear your story.

We can give promo codes to educational communities, sponsor events and encourage engagement. Contact us.

Here is more information: http://readdle.com/blog/?p=883

PDF Expert for iPad link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

13. class10808 macrumors newbie

For me, I use the ipad everyday, PDF Reader Pro for school textbooks, iBook for lecture notes, school-specific map apps (depends on your university), Keynote, Numbers (for lab reports excel, does functions too), Pages etc

14. matt90036 macrumors regular

iAnnotate. it lets you index books so you can search them for keywords and get answers within seconds instead of 10s of minutes like with ibooks or others. it lets you annotate and search your annotations, draw, and do other tricks. its kind of pricey $9.99 but it was the best money that i have spent.